Budget GPUs or use spare 4090 for local model? Use case included.

So I was doing a little bit of research on budget AI GPUs as I wanted to build a second rig with some leftover parts for bedroom gaming and didn’t want to necessarily use the 4090 for a local LLM so I googled and came across some hits like Teslas, P40s, P100s, etc, and I’m also aware of the 5060 Ti 16GB but I didn’t really want to spend too much money as the 5060 Ti is no longer ‘cheap’ (not sure it ever was, and especially if you want multiple for more VRAM). Let me describe my use case first.

My company has introduced a comically low usage limit for our AI subscriptions so rather than rely on a personal subscription with usage limits what I’d like to do is be able to ingest a bunch of Oracle Cloud Application books as the training material (for SaaS Financials, EPM, etc) and then query against it, but, rather than using something like an indexer+ElasticSearch to search for known phrases, I want to be able to pose business scenarios against it, and prompt it with something like “I have an invoice that isn’t hitting the correct asset book, here is the current configuration of two books, please reference the 26C Fixed Assets book” and then either I attach the PDF or it’s already trained specifically from the data.

Since I would like to utilize it for work it would be better if the model responses were accurate more often than not. I am not sure if this is necessarily correlated to GPU horsepower or the training configuration and what a good model to use would be, as I’m still very new to all of this.

Could I get by with some ebay pickups or would a single 4090 be really my best case for something as described? If budget options are good enough for this, I’d rather stick with nVidia for compatibility reasons.

Fusion and Friends. My condolences. :joy: I’m not sure what I can add to the conversation, but I am interested to see where this goes.

TLDR: RX7900xt

I might be wrong but I dont think this is AI training more just adding context. I do the same thing with a large context window in LLM Studio, I run 2 MI25s I got for 50 bucks on eBay, its slow but works. If I don’t need as much VRAM I use my gaming pc with a RX7900xt.

1 Like

For inference under linux i’m running a 7900XTX and my feeling is that it is the most affordable way to get 24 GB of VRAM that is actually usable.

It pulls double duty as a great gaming card for linux as well.

I think what I found from some additional research is it’d be more RAG than training or inference? My understanding is training requires huge data sets and from what I can tell the open source models are already trained to some degree? I don’t have an issue using the 4090 as I don’t think the V100s are really that great despite middle of the road testimony about them on reddit.