BTRFS HDD Partition fails to mount and I'm not sure why at all

I have an 8TB WD Elements drive that I’ve been using as the main storage medium of the family plex server for awhile. It served us well until one of my family members unplugged it while I was gone (shoot!) and somehow rendered the server (RPi4, 4GB) useless. I thought it would be easier to just rebuild from scratch, so I wiped the SD card and started a fresh install of PiOS with OpenmediaVault to handle the details. I tried to mount my drive’s BTRFS volume, but no dice.

I went into Ubuntu for RPi and tried to mount there and got an error: “Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sda1: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, mission codepage or helper program, or other error”

What should I do? After some googling and trying different things a few weeks ago from the OMV forums, I find myself here. What would y’all suggest?
Thanks in advance!

The file system needs checking. Make sure you have the appropriate tools package for BTRFS installed, then sudo fsck /dev/sda1 should be all you need, but it might be that BTRFS has a different syntax for it (don’t use it, can’t tell) so do your homework :wink:

Thanks so much for the advice! This was the result:

sudo btrfsck /dev/sda1
Opening filesystem to check...
parent transid verify failed on 919884562432 wanted 970274 found 969178
Ignoring transid failure
ERROR: child eb corrupted: parent bytenr=919854841856 item=264 parent level=1 child bytenr=919884562432 child level=1
ERROR: failed to read block groups: Input/output error
ERROR: cannot open file system

I’m slightly out of my area of expertise here, so what can you infer from this? Thanks again!

Not to be patronising, but are we sure that sda1 is the BTRFS partition? “wrong fs type” is making me suspicious.

If this was GPT formatted, the first partition might be the EFI Service Partition (FAT formatted), not your BTRFS filesystem.

This is a good point.

You can do a fdisk /dev/sda and then select option p for partitions to see what is on the disk. Make sure you are not about to potentially nuke the wrong drive. Once you find which partition is your btrfs partition, then you would run btrfsck /dev/sdaX where X is the actual partition number.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.