BSD appreciation Thread

Once the new DRM stuff is in a release kernel, I'll gladly give BSD a closer look on actual metal. Not willing to replace my R9-380 yet. Trying it out in a VM, it's really nice. Surprised at how new some of the software is, a lot of it is newer than in Debian!
I filed a bug in the latest version Kdenlive that prevented it from being compiled on FreeBSD (something about an ambiguous reference to abs) so hopefully, FreeBSD at least will be a viable daily driver for me in the near future.

I mean, kdenlive is pretty broken on linux, too. I haven't checked, but you might want to check and see if shotcut or flowblade are in ports yet, they're all essentially interchangeable.

No details, check their Twitter feeds.

1 Like

Totally agree if I want to roll my own install I do a debian net install if I am lazy or BSD if I need speed

A thousand times, this. I can't even count the amount of times I've tried to fill some edge case while maintaining performance on Linux, and just given up and went with a BSD solution. It may seem closed-minded, but the more you look into it, the more you find bits of the Linux ecosystem that are just plain designed "wrong."

I like lInux when I want out of the box and tons of software.

But lets say I want a box to run an army of irc bots or an vpn relay, bsd just is smoother.

Most likely because BSD sticks closer to the Unix core philosophies

Yep. Each definitely has their uses, but I'd say BSD is the more robust option if you need to customize or purpose-build, just because everything interacts much more consistently/predictably.

Linux is great if you just need to drop in some stock standard day to day stuff, but as soon as you get into gentoo or arch customization territory I think it's better to just make the jump.

Yes totally agree.

Not even saying this as bashing but the "roll your own" distros feel unnecessary.

Only handy of you want to test kernels without compiling.

So besides trueOS what all do you use it for?

I have routers and APs running it, and several servers. I even set up a Ghetto "rack-in-a-box" that hosts my NAS and servers, using a ton of physical nics, a huge zfs storage pool and jails everywhere.

As a side note: I actually like arch-based "easy mode" distros a lot more than ubuntu, suse, fedora etc, because they remove the big inconveniences of arch but give you better flexibility than their counterparts.

I've got FreeBSD on my home server with 14x 3TB disks in a ZFS pool, on my desktop with mirrored SSDs and a GTX 980, usually on my laptop (currently messing with NetBSD on that though), in datacenters on my dedicated servers and VPSs for hosting, and even on a little TP-Link wireless router I use for internet access.

My daily driver is a MBP with macOS, since that seems to count in this thread, too.

I tend to prefer FreeBSD proper over things like pfSense or FreeNAS or TrueOS. I'm perfectly comfortable working on the command line, and fancy user interfaces tend to be buggy, slow, or just get in my way. Not to say that they aren't great for people who don't know how to get things done otherwise.

Nothing's perfect, though. I could talk for days about problems with the BSDs that irk me.

1 Like

I mean, OS X isn't BSD in the strictest sense, but we're trying to avoid arguments with Apple fans and GPL3 advocates, as they no doubt outnumber us here, and could easily shit up the thread.

The biggest problems I have with BSDs are the quirks across the different flavors, and lack of consumer grade support ( AMD graphics, wi-fi up until recently, etc) Appreciation without recognition of flaws would just be blind devotion.

The driver itself seems to be on par with linux 4.7. My problem is that the driver just wont install. TrueOS didnt compile the module and I dont know how to compile a damn freebsd module

Doesnt nvidia have a general unix driver. I mean i havent tried it out but i saw something on the website

afaik Only freebsd based stuff supports their proprietary blobs

good talk if y'all want to check it out:

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/my_bsd_sucks_less/

I looooooooooooooove Unix!

Lunduke & George Neville-Neil discuss BSD:

1 Like

who else here is hype for Lunduke's puppet going on a racist tirade?

I think something that Neville-Neil didn't explain adequately in the licensing discussion was that corporate BSD is still bsd, where corporate linux gets twisted and perverted to avoid the gpl.

Look at android, where it's basically the kernel, and that's it. Nothing in android dev benefits linux. With BSD they don't need to do this to sell a product, so they just give back.

Same with Embedded dev when you compare netbsd and linux based solutions.

Juniper's Junos OS is based on FreeBSD although most of the time is spent in their cli to do the config but you can always jump into the shell and edit a config in vi if you like :)

I haven't used it that extensively in servers or desktop but I remember when heartbleed became known that (most?) BSD wasn't affected as it didn't include the vulnerable versions of OpenSSL. That's worth some appreciation :)

1 Like