BSD appreciation Thread

so for non FreeBSD bsd's it is recommended to have an AMD gpu, if I were to use say use netbsd on a 950m how well would it work. As far as i understand it would work but with no graphics acceleration.

I'll just say that El Cap runs perfectly on that. If I had a C2D macbook or something similar I could do the same thing.

If you're not on freebsd, an IGP is ideal, not amd. you can get picture on most of them, no acceleration though. optimus may give you headaches as well.

OpenBSD is decidedly lighter, and the model I have is a Core "Not 2" Duo. Not my daily driver anyway.

Where do you work that uses TrueOS in production?

Also, vanilla Freebsd is bae.

Ah well OSX is my dream OS at this point. I'll never be able to own a new mac so I make do.

Yeah man, I get the appeal, It's just not good for me as a daily driver because I need more meat for less money than what their current offerings provide, and I don't want to deal with putting it on unsupported hardware. Might do it as a hobby thing on a retired piece of kit here in a bit though.

Actually once you have it installed and set up theres not really any issues.

That's a little misleading (though I'm sure you aren't trying to deceive anyone). I've looked into it, and there are a cornucopia of gotchas and potential bork states from installation to basic maintenance. It's not duct-taped together or anything, but it isn't rock solid either.

At a place where everyone uses mostly open source, and I use it for mostly office tasks. The heavy stuff (virtualization, etc) gets done on server hardware. I still require the other OS for certain tasks however.

I have a machine with 4 drives at home I could put FreeBSD on with ZFS

Go for it. Create a slummy rackmount in a box with jails!

My real question was kinda if your work enforced it, or if you just get your pick of the litter.

TrueOS does so many things right, I really wish I had the expertise to support it through development.

Honestly for me a computer isn't owned until you work on it. If I have to patch something it only feels more unique to me. No I wouldn't deceive anyone, but a daily driver to me is Arch or OSX, fuck me if I have to use ubuntu I have no updates ever for my software, can't build shit from the AUR and submit bug reports to better it, and have to constantly fix the boot sequence shit..... But even doing that, its mine.

I'll never push anyone to hackintosh I don't think. Its as difficult as jumping into arch or slackware to learn linux. Its rather stupid actually. You would think by now someone on i2p would just bodge a system together but nope. We're doing this insanely difficult thing because we want it, even if it is absolutely retarded.

2 Likes

Well I'm going to praise what I always praise about BSD: the package management! Pkg and ports are just so fucking amazing. I know Gentoo's portage is supposed to be similar to BSD's ports but for me it just doesnt even come close. Now what I dont like is that amdgpu still doesnt work for me, thats a real bummer

1 Like

Just wanted to say that Jupiter Broadcasting has some great shows/podcasts

1 Like

PfSense router, and two FreeNas servers (file & media storage)..... I guess the biggest thing to me is that they just work, never need to reboot, never really need to update (although updates are easy) nothing breaks, in the case of FreeNas "Jails" are a great way to isolate programs, connectivity with other boxes and OSs is easy and rock solid, and in FreeNas the ZFS file system works very well.....all in all not one down side or bad thing I have experienced.

2 Likes

NetBSD current has nouveau in line with Linux 3.15. Even most recent nouveau in Linux has only very limited support for 900+ series cards. There is no proprietary Nvidia driver for NetBSD.

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

1 Like

I get it, I agree with you for the most part. I'd just rather use Arch, TrueOS or FreeBSD as my daily. That's the big thing to remember, there's no accounting for taste :)

It's ironic really. By trying to be "BSD like" with their package management, Gentoo has made a more complex and inefficient system with a much higher burdern of knowledge. I think the differences between the two serve to highlight the differences in the core philosophies in both camps.

I hear there's a lot of progress on the AMD drm stuff, happening in parallel with the linux OSS development

George Neville-Neil has agreed to try and persuade Lunduke why BSD is better than Linux. That's going to be good to watch 😁

2 Likes

When and where? Will it be livestreamed on the WWE network?