Browser Hardening, Privacy, Anti-Fingerprint and Anti-Telemetry Guide

Browsing the modern web can be a pain between all the ads, trackers, popups, nagging and general garbage. This thread is to be bit of a brain dump / link dump, and comparison of browsers and configurations to maximize privacy, security, and control. Mostly focused on browsers and browser configuration, but I may meander into OS’s and FOSS alternatives.

While Tor is a cool piece of tech and a great tool, generally it’s not very practical for normal every day browsing. This is because a lot of sites simply refuse to work when detecting that its been accessed through TOR, maybe your ISP/country tries to block it, and it’s generally slower to load regular clear web.

There’s a new kid on the block called Mullvad browser that looks interesting. It seems to come with pretty sensible defaults and is marketed as “Tor Browser without the Tor Network”. There are also many privacy focused forks like PaleMoon, WaterFox, and LibreWolf, but I have not experimented with them much and this first post will be focused on stock Firefox to get an understanding of what’s under the hood.

Brave is a good alternative to Chrome, but again this first post will be focused on Firefox because Chrome has too much market share and google is destroying the web.

VPN’s while useful are simply moving trust from ISP to VPN provider, and will be outside the scope of this thread. Also goal here is not evasion of state-sponsored actors or extreme paranoia, but making the web a little more bearable to navigate and to take back control.

A very simple setup is to just install uBlock Origin with Firefox. This is an easy win and when setting up Grandma’s computer I simply do this and call it a day. However, Mozilla has been adding more telemetry over the years and injecting homepage Ads via proprietary services such as Pocket. As well as Opt-In by default experiments/studies that in some case has violated user privacy, and DOES NOT NOTIFY THE USER when being tested.

Goto: about:preferences#privacy > Firefox Data Collection and Use > UNCHECK: ‘Allow Firefox to install and run studies’
Screenshot_20230610_113319

Do Not Track signal (consider this setting to be useless when many sites do not respect this flag). EDIT: Leave this flag OFF as it can be a unique signal used to fingerprint as pointed out by @LiKenun (thanks)

Firefox has some built-in ‘Enhanced Tracking Protection’. You can view it’s performance via about:protections

While there are built in settings for some of this stuff, it’s not complete and many settings are abstracted away from the user. Enter about:config

Disable and hide Pocket:

extensions.pocket.showHome = false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.includePocket = false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.discoverystream.sendToPocket.enabled = false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.discoverystream.saveToPocketCard.enabled = false
extensions.pocket.refresh.emailButton.enabled = false (default)
extensions.pocket.api = blank
extensions.pocket.site = blank
extensions.pocket.bffApi = blank
extensions.pocket.oAuthConsumerKey = blank
extensions.pocket.oAuthConsumerKeyBff = blank

Disable Studies/Experiments:

extensions.experiments.enabled = false (default)
app.shield.optoutstudies.enabled = false

Slightly confusing wording, you might expect true to opt-out but in this case it refers to the ‘Allow Firefox to install and run studies’ check box itself. see: app.sheild.optoutstudies.enabled · Issue #386 · pyllyukko/user.js · GitHub

Do NOT send ‘Do Not Track’ header:

privacy.donottrackheader.enabled = false (default)

Enable tracking protection (Security/Tracking protection - MozillaWiki):

privacy.fingerprintingProtection = true
privacy.socialtracking.block_cookies.enabled = true (default)
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled = true
privacy.trackingprotection.fingerprinting.enabled = true (default)
privacy.trackingprotection.cryptomining.enabled = true (default)

HTTPS only:

dom.security.https_only_mode_ever_enabled = true

Disable Geolocation (If you require Geolocation, consider changing provider to one that respects the user):

geo.enabled = false
geo.provider.use_geoclue = false
geo.provider.network.url = blank

Disable prefetch. Link prefetching is a browser mechanism, which utilizes browser idle time to download or prefetch documents that the user might visit in the near future:

network.prefetch-next = false
network.predictor.enable-prefetch = false (default)
network.dns.disablePrefetch = true
network.dns.disablePrefetchFromHTTPS = true (default)

Disable Browser.send pings:
This attribute contains one or more URIs to “ping” (send a POST request to) when the user clicks the link. The attribute would be useful for letting websites track visitors’ clicks. Used to default on, seems to default off now.

browser.send_pings = false (default)

Display the “raw” punycode version of internationalized domain names. Help protect from ‘character spoofing’ with fancy unicode eg: аррӏе.comаррӏе.com
see: IDN homograph attacks Phishing with Unicode Domains - Xudong Zheng

network.IDN_show_punycode = true

Disable sites reading battery level:

dom.battery.enabled = false

Disable Telemetry (take note of the ever growing size of this list…):

browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.telemetry = false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry = false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry.structuredIngestion.endpoint = blank
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry.ut.events = false (default)
browser.ping-centre.telemetry = false
browser.search.serpEventTelemetry.enabled = false (default)
browser.urlbar.eventTelemetry.enabled = false (default)
dom.security.unexpected_system_load_telemetry_enabled = false
network.trr.confirmation_telemetry_enabled = false
security.app_menu.recordEventTelemetry = false
security.certerrors.recordEventTelemetry = false
security.identitypopup.recordEventTelemetry = false
security.protectionspopup.recordEventTelemetry = false
toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled = false
toolkit.telemetry.bhrPing.enabled = false
toolkit.telemetry.cachedClientID = blank
toolkit.telemetry.dap_enabled = false (default)
toolkit.telemetry.dap_helper = blank
toolkit.telemetry.dap_leader = blank
toolkit.telemetry.enabled = false
toolkit.telemetry.firstShutdownPing.enabled = false
toolkit.telemetry.newProfilePing.enabled = false
toolkit.telemetry.pioneer-new-studies-available = false
toolkit.telemetry.server = blank
toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.backgroundtask.enabled = false (default)
toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled = false
toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabledFirstSession = false (default)
toolkit.telemetry.testing.overrideProductsCheck = false (default)
toolkit.telemetry.unified = false
toolkit.telemetry.updatePing.enabled = false

Spoof HTTP referer (send the target URL as the referrer):

network.http.referer.spoofSource = true

NOTE: You can disable referer header via …header = 0, however this breaks too many sites to be practical. Recommend leave default 2 and turn spoof on. Security/Referrer - MozillaWiki

network.http.sendRefererHeader =
    0 = never send the header
    1 = send the header only when clicking on links and similar elements
    2 = (default) send on all requests (e.g. images, links, etc.)

Diable WebRTC. Websockets can leak IP when using a VPN:

network.http.http2.websockets = false

NOTE: these settings may be overwritten when firefox updates, so keep an eye on it from time to time. (Blanking out api URL’s and API keys is probably overkill but I personally like to nuke them and don’t trust these setting not to flip back on during an update, or if I miss one it’s sink-holed to nowhere…)
See: Category:Security and privacy-related preferences - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And: Category:Preferences - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

If you don’t want to manually adjust these settings, this is a great resource but it’s highly aggressive and breaks many sites: GitHub - pyllyukko/user.js: user.js -- Firefox configuration hardening
NOTE: There is sometimes a trade off between security/privacy and functionality. Some of these settings will break certain websites. See ‘relaxed’ version that may be more practical for your use-case.

Once you have your config setup how you like you can keep a copy of your user.js backed up and simply drop it in your profile folder across machines:

Windows: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>
Linux:   ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile folder>
Mac:     ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>
         ~/Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>

Or visit about:profiles

Many of you here are likely already familiar with about:config, but there are some other interesting built in about:things.

about:about
Master about. View most “about” pages, but even this is NOT all of them! “some are omitted because they require query strings”

about:profiles
Manage and view profiles. Features ‘Open directory’ button to link directly to profile storage.

about:studies
View active and completed studies/experiments. Do you want to know if you have already been part of, or are currently running any experiments (unbeknownst to you)?

about:telemetry
View Information collected by telemetry.

about:protections
Protection dashboard to view stats from ‘Enhanced Tracking Protection’.

about:networking
View and audit currently active connections.
Also see: Connections established on startup - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And: How to stop Firefox from making automatic connections | Firefox Help

about:processes
View currently running processes, memory and CPU usage. Modern browsers are multi-threaded (typically 1 thread per tab).

about:memory
Advanced memory profiler.

about:cache
Information about the Network Cache Storage Service.

about:webrtc
Web Real-Time Communications page. View and manage connections.

Privacy Enhancing Extensions

Beyond stock Firefox settings and into extension land!

Ublock Origin: block ads and tracking. widely regarded as the best blocker as some other adblockers are run by ad companies themselves or whitelist certain ads. do not confuse with non-Origin fork.

PrivacyBadger: algorithmic anti-tracking and anti “supercookies”.

HTTPSEverywhere: Force HTTPS, but now may be obsolete as there is a built in setting: about:preferences#privacy > Security > HTTPS-Only Mode > CHECK: ‘Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in all windows’

Decentraleyes: Local resource loading for common third-party Libraries (Google Hosted Libraries, Microsoft Ajax CDN, CDNJS (Cloudflare), jQuery CDN (MaxCDN), any many more), instead of downloading each visit.

NoScript: blacklist or whitelist every javascript resource. Enable only the necessary ones for site to function.

ResquestPolicy: similar to NoScript but more granular allowing you to whitelist/blacklist all cross-site requests down to every resource.

uMatrix: similar to RequestPolicy. maintained by same developer as uBlock Origin. block:

• cookies
  • CSS-related resources (stylesheets and web fonts)
  • images
  • plugins
  • scripts
  • XHR (requests made by scripts)
  • iFrames

If you like to get OCD with it you can hyper manage what is loaded and what is not via NoScript or ResquestPolicy/uMatrix. However in my experience after a couple years of manually whitelisting just enough things to get basic stuff to load I found this to be not so practical long-term. I still like these tools but the mental overhead is draining and the focus here is pragmatism over paranoia.

Mobile Browsers

iOS

Apple locks down webkit so all browsers are forced to use Safari under the hood so that even so it doesn’t matter what you use. It’s all Safari. There is no winning here. Jailbreaking/rooting is the only way around this, which comes with its own challenges and security implications.

Android

Firefox Mobile does support plugins like uBlock Origin and about:config settings such as dom.battery.enabled = false are relevant here (how about it’s none of your business what my battery level is creep…)

Brave is also available for Mobile.

Getting slightly off topic of browsers into into the OS itself, consider getting off OEM Android that came pre-installed on your phone because GFS (Google Services Framework) & GMS (Google Mobile Services) is a garbage that runs deep. GMS is known to report on you every 5-15 minutes and location services tracks whether you are standing or walking! edit: found source: https://digitalcontentnext.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DCN-Google-Data-Collection-Paper.pdf

Consider alternative roms such as degoogled GrapheneOS, CalyxOS, LineageOS. XDA is a great resource here. Always pay attention to permissions and try to use websites instead of installing bloated unnecessary native apps where possible. Do you really need a dedicated app for XYZ, or will simply going to XYZ’s website suffice? It’s easier to sandbox a webapp as many native apps comes with unnecessary permissions and more aggressive and invasive tracking techniques.

Linux phones are on the horizon!

HTTP GET tracking

Another gotcha is tracking garbage shoved into the GET portion of URL’s.

The GET method is used to append additional data to a URL in the form of key-value pairs after the ? token. for example: example.com/form.php?key=value

This is used to encode what link you clicked or what your account ID is. eg:

• Amazon: .com/product-name/dp/XXXXXX/?blahblah (everything after ? is garbage)
  • Spotify: ?SI=XXXXXXX&utm_source=copy-link (SI = Share ID)

Often if you use a website or apps Share feature, notice how it will inject an ID into the link you are about to send. I like to manually remove these before sending or using links.

Never save passwords in browser!

Autofill may be convenient but this is a common attack vector for stolen credentials as they are stored in your profiles folder in an EASILY DECRYPTED key4.db and logins.json format: Recovering important data from an old profile | Firefox Help

Lookup ‘browser credential stealer’ for plenty of examples. If you insist on using saved passwords, please use a ‘Master Password’.

Better yet just use a password manager such as KeepassXC.

Temporary Mail

Trying to download just one thing from some obscure forum you don’t actually want to make an account for? Try a temporary mail service. They run in your browser and are deleted after a few minutes.

PiHole

If you have a spare machine or raspberry-pi sitting around, why not consider turning it into a PiHole?

Ad services are often leveraged to distribute malware. Not to mention a waste of space and time so I feel absolutely zero guilt in blocking them.

References & Resources

Browser Comparison: https://privacytests.org
Privacy Guide tools: https://www.privacyguides.org/en/tools/#desktop-web-browsers

Fingerprint testing:
1: https://panopticlick.eff.org
2: https://browserleaks.com
3: https://amiunique.org
4: https://www.deviceinfo.me
NOTE: some of these settings and plugins will actually make you MORE UNIQUE in terms of Fingerprinting. There is a trade off between privacy and uniqueness. Evaluate for your self what you care about.

Web Assembly Test: https://wasm-feature-detect.surma.technology/

Also see BeEf (Browser Exploitation Framework) if you’re interested in exploring/exploiting this stuff in your own environment:

Feedback and corrections welcome. Share your experience and opinions on browsers, alternative forks, settings, and extensions.

12 Likes

Control

Slightly off topic of privacy, this section will be focused on taking back control of client side functionally and rendering to bypass artificial and frivolous restrictions.

Context Menu

dom.event.contextmenu.enabled = false

Don’t allow websites to prevent use of right-click, or otherwise messing with the context menu. This is a setting you may have to toggle as it will break some sites such as google docs context menu. Perhaps an extension for a button to toggle this setting would be handy, or to blacklist sites from using this.

Another way around this is if Javascript is simply disabled.

One site in particular that takes over the context menu is Pinterest (I refuse to make an account to grab a single quick reference stock image, leave me alone). They used to disable it entirely, but looks like it’s now been replaced with their own custom context menu in which clicking ‘Save Image’ will force a login:

Now we disable the contextmenu dom property and…viola! :violin: we have our context menu back:

However, where is ‘Copy Image’ and ‘Save Image as’? This trick used to work on it’s own, but they’ve since added an extra layer of trickery; some extra divs that cover the image on mouse-over event so your context menu is relative to the div overlay and not the image.

So I had to pause while writing this to find a new workaround, and strangely enough before I even had to dig around in the debugger, I discovered simply having the window not in focus and then right-clicking will get you to the ‘Copy Image’ menu. This seems to only block when the window is in focus. Observe closely:

*todo: test on windows. this not-in-focus quirk was observed on linux

Implementation might look something like this:

window.oncontextmenu = function () {
    showCustomMenu();
    return false;     // cancel default menu
}

or

document.addEventListener("contextmenu", function(event) {
    event.preventDefault(); //cancel event
});

or

function onMouseDown(event) {
   if (event.which === 3 || event.button === 2) {
      event .preventDefault(); ///cancel event
   }
}

window.addEventListener("mousedown", onMouseDown);

Do not take away my context menu. This is not piracy, it’s simply how the web works. I didn’t agree to any terms, leave me alone.

It reminds me of how that one governor thinks a basic browser tool like view page source is “hacking” because they don’t understand the internet. source: Viewing website HTML code is not illegal or “hacking,” prof. tells Missouri gov. | Ars Technica

Just wait till they find out how scary a debugger is…BAN DEVELOPERS!

Clipboard

Similar to disabling the context menu, a website may try to disable copy/paste (to prevent you from grabbing an image for example, or prevent you from copying text)

dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false

Don’t allow websites to prevent copy and paste. Disable notifications of copy, paste, or cut functions. Stop webpage knowing which part of the page had been selected (minor privacy implication).

Again, do not take away basic browser functionality. I have little patients for this sillyness.

Bypass Popup Walls and Anti-Scroll Tech

Now this one is a little specific to my flavor of OCD where I refuse to hit the “accept cookies” button that now litters the internet. Instead I choose to block element as a form of protest (I realize I’m a little silly myself, but I digress…) and continue to use the site. But this applies to any popup that won’t let you easily remove it. (hint paywalls)

With Ublock Origin installed, you can right-click on an element and block it. This creates a filter that simply removes the UI element such as a full screen DIV.

Right-click element → [ublock] Block element
You can preview to make sure you are blocking the correct element, and slide the level selector to move up and down scope to ensure the correct element is blocked.

This lets you continue for many sites, but some sites also disable the ability to scroll. I find this highly irritating, so lets bypass this sillyness. NoScript usually disables this for you, but lets understand the techniques from a developers perspective.

Method A: CSS. The overflow property = hidden. This disables scrolling on a div.

div {
   overflow: hidden;
}

or

document.body.style.overflow = "hidden";

Also see position property = fixed

div {
   position: fixed;
}

Demo: W3Schools Tryit Editor
Bypass: Inspect and find the offending element, remove overflow property or set to scroll or visible. Uncheck position property or set position from fixed to static or relative (may move elements)

There may be some variation in implementation but this can give you are starting place where to look.

Method B: Javascript onscroll override

window.onscroll = function() {
   window.scrollTo(0, 0);
};

This little piece of js is triggered whenever the user scrolls, and sets the scroll to a predefined location, which negates the users scrolling.
Bypass: open console and type window.onscroll = function () {}; to set to our own do nothing funtion.

Method C:
This one is a little more involved…
Demo: Disable scrolling
Bypass: TODO: go to sleep

Bonus: Sites that “hide” text behind blur (looking at you quora)

#myText { 
   filter: blur(10px);
}

Simply inspect element and edit or uncheck property:

If you come across a website that is blocking normal basic browser functionality, try some of these tricks. If you get stuck, post it here and I will happily tear it apart with the debugger.

3 Likes

edit: remove unnecessary rant, id prefer to focus on the problem. sometimes technology irritates me…

Anywho… here’s a nice list of FOSS alternatives for common software:

For example if you use VSCode → VSCodium (no microsoft telemetry).

2 Likes

Hey, awesome thread!

Very nice, and not too tinfoil either!

Any way to disable the favicon loads? Where the browser fetches an icon from all the tabs, loaded or otherwise?

1 Like

I do what you do but I start with LibreWolf Instead

yeah you gotta disable remote fonts and I believe there’s one other flag or an extension you can get for the favicons

2 Likes

Interesting choice. I have read that turning this on makes you even more trackable. Because it is off by default, turning it on puts you into a smaller population of users, helping trackers narrow down your identity.

To quote a good tl;dr:

“Do not track” makes you stand out, and in some cases even signals whether you are in Incognito mode.

I was recently researching Do Not Track (DNT) functionality in different browsers and started to notice something that should be discussed: Most effects of DNT are negative.

1. DNT is another data point used for fingerprinting your browser, as Panopticlick’s fingerprinting result table points out.
  2. Out of the box, Firefox enables the DNT flag when you are in Incognito mode. This means websites have a good guess whether you are using Incognito to browse their website.
  3. Most websites do not honor DNT. For example, Reddit acknowledges the existence of the flag but refuses to treat you any differently based on it.

The single positive I can imagine is sending a DNT signal to a website that treats it properly. But I cannot think of any websites that use the flag that I both trust and wish to use the flag on.

1 Like

Did some more research. Excellent point. Fixed. Thanks for links and references!

Interesting indeed! Keep 'em coming!

:bust_in_silhouette:

I am going to start playing around with LibreWolf. My initial concern would be not getting security updates as quick as master firefox. Looking at the commits it seems to be pretty actively maintained. Also I am not seeing a LibreWolf for mobile unfortunately… What has been your experience with it so far?

According to some initial searches this seems to be one of the better forks.

One of these weekends I will fire up beef and test stock ff vs stock librewolf vs stock mullvad. No changes to settings or extensions to see out of the box results.

1 Like

Yeah it definitely picked up speed. People got tired of mozillas shenanigans. I have found it to be quite stable and it doesn’t override your settings with an unsafe default. In fact I cant remember the last time it overrode something.

Give it a try see if you like it. There are a few eccentricities like dealing with canvas being blocked by default but that’s good. Thats fail safe not fail unsafe

1 Like

I don’t see anything that can beat ungooged-chromium + sandbox (flatpak with $HOME privs removed) + ublock origin. Both in terms of security and privacy, which have some affect on each other.

2 Likes

Flatpak lies about its sandboxing. This is well known

Evidence and Sauce:

Flatpak allows apps to declare that they need full access to your filesystem or your home folder, yet graphical software stores still claim such apps are sandboxed. This has been discussed before. Here’s what happens when I search GIMP in the Software app on a fresh install of Fedora 34:

Fedora claims GIMP is sandboxed. If you click “High” next to “Permissions”, you see a little exclamation mark saying it has “File system” permissions.

Fedora claims GIMP is sandboxed. If you click “High” next to “Permissions”, you see a little exclamation mark saying it has “File system” permissions.

Such an app can drop a malware executable anywhere in your home folder and add a line to your ~/.profile or a desktop entry to ~/.config/autostart/ to have it auto-started on your next login. Not only will it run outside of any container, it will even persist after the app is uninstalled.

See security section of: Flatpak Is Not the Future

Glad the browser is working out for you. :+1: I just thought you might want to know this.

As for the combo. Ive tried it myself. Some good, some bad but I know beef proved out that librewolf or firefox with this OPs recommendations is more private than ungoogled chromium but thats an apples to oranges comparison in both directions. So i wont make it due to it being unfair.

2 Likes

Does vscodium still not have plugins enabled? I’m sorry but without certain plugins it’s not even a tool worth using.

1 Like

:rofl: that name is so close to

VScopium

P.S I have a love hate relationship with VS code. On one hand its a free tool and tbch its a free IDE thats leaps and bounds better than eclipse

HOWEVER

If im doing company work. The company is paying for cLion

BUUUTTT

If I am doing personal work. Neovim and gcc+gdb all the way haha

I realize that was off topic. I contribute by saying that I feel noscript and canvas blocker should be mandatory plugins :joy:

1 Like

Just found this: AUR (en) - vscodium-bin-marketplace

It looks like it enables extensions in vscodium. I have not tested but might this fit your needs?

Edit: also found vscodium/DOCS.md at master · VSCodium/vscodium · GitHub

Looks like if you can find the .vsix you need you can install directly:
code --install-extension myextension.vsix

1 Like

Its currently broken according to comments

"

As of today the package is still partially broken. If vscodium-bin-features touches the file first vscodium-bin-marketplace will corrupt the package.json file. As both are run as hooks when updating vscodium-bin , vscodium-bin-marketplace will find a file that was altered by vscodium-bin-features . I propose to reuse the python code from vscodium-bin-features instead of sed for the purpose of setting marketplace URL. It is a simple solution that will make both packages compatible.

"

Its breaking the product.json and a few other config files

Firefox Android does support a few select plugins, inluding uBlock Origin, DecentralEyes, ClearURLs and Privacy Possum (and a couple others)

Additionally you can use Android Firefox Nightly and you can at least attempt to use every firefox plugin through setting a custom collection. Also about:config is accessible in Nightly.

1 Like

Right, but this does not mean that you cannot use Flatseal to restrict it - like from reading $HOME - right?

It does. It means that even though you told it to do so, its nor enforcing this. Selinux sandboxing might be more effective

I wish things were that clear. However, there are 1000 websites with 1000 claims of superior knowledge all saying different things. And the more famous the security expert the more obvious they are shilling in at least some areas - so are difficult to trust.