Browser Dashboard/Homepage Recommendations

My bookmark bar is getting out of control.

Does anyone use a dashboard/homepage type thing to organize all their links/feeds/whatever?

Recommendations?

I’m currently looking at:

http://www.netvibes.com/en

https://start.me/en

I’m not averse to paying a small amount ($2/mo for netvibes for example).

This looks good:

freeboard.io

Source is on github so you can self-host: https://github.com/freeboard/freeboard

Nvm, freeboard is really just targeted for IoT monitoring. Looks nice though.

Bookmark bar? You mean people actually use that?

It would help if you told us what browser you’re using. If it’s Chrome or Firefox, I’m sure there’s an extension out there that will do what you need. You may not agree with the license though.

I don’t want an extension. I want a customizable dashboard-like webpage that I can fill with structured collections of links to set as my homepage on any browser.

netvibes and start.me are examples of what I’m looking for.

Bonus points for something that is FOSS and self-hosted, but I’m fine with a paid service with a reasonable privacy policy.

Ohh OK, haven’t used one of those in ages and the one I did shutdown. I think you’re going to have to read a lot of privacy policies if privacy is a concern.

Yeah, me either, but I need some way to keep track of links, otherwise I’m just re-googling things over and over. Right now I just have kind of a mess of a bookmarks bar in Chrome which I have to clean out periodically.

Do you use anything for this?

Privacy isn’t a huge deal here. I wouldn’t even care if my page was publicly accessible. I just prefer that the service doesn’t data-mine my every click. A paid service with a professional/business tier would be less likely to do that, which is why I was looking at netvibes and start.me.

Let’s not worry about privacy atm. I’m just looking for some options based on features and usability. Privacy concerns can be used to narrow it down once some options are on the table.

start.me is looking like the superior option so far.

No, I don’t use the bookmarks bar. I used to have an RSS ticker, but that extension became incompatible.

1 Like

Man, I wish this had come up earlier. I spent a good portion of the day setting up start.me

I’m going to stick with start.me for now, but I think for anyone coming back to this, pinboard looks like a better first choice.

I would not bother with netvibes.

1 Like

I would be comfortable dropping the moneyz on both services actually. Pinboard.in is for sure the fucking best bookmark online utility I have ever used.

1 Like

This reminds me of the Chrome update from a couple yrs ago, where all bookmarks had a preview pane and you had a folder for collections, If you are a coder, could probably write something

Yeah, start.me has more of a rich dashboard kind of feel, but for mass bookmarking, pinboard would be the way to go.

It’s a little hidden in start.me, but if you scroll all the way down on the main page, there’s an option to pay $60 for a lifetime pro subscription… would save you money if you planned to use it for years.

Also, the privacy policy for start.me looks pretty normal. They collect information for their own analytical purposes but don’t sell anything to third parties. It mentions they use affiliate links, but there was no affiliate code when I clicked on an amazon bookmarks, so I’m not sure where that comes in.

That said, I am not going to give it access to my e-mail…

Google had a bookmark thing for a while but they killed it. It was mentioned a lot when I was looking into these.

This is why I never go all in with the cool Google projects. Minus the privacy concerns, they are by no means shy in starting/killing projects.

Well, I was considering building my own alternative to Feedly. Would you consider Start.me a solid RSS feed for podcasts?

They’ve definitely killed a lot of stuff. To be fair, in this situation, the project was openly considered “experimental” so they weren’t completely opaque about it…

I’m still waiting for the revamped, Slack-a-like makeover of Hangouts. I have to use it at work.

Not sure yet, but I’ll let you know once I get that far. It might be.

1 Like

I remember having it for like 3 day… Then I was like ‘Hey?! Where did my dashboard go !’ People revolted because their lewd video bookmarks were present for all to see :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I believe I could write one for Firefox with some time though…

1 Like