Bricked MicroSD?

I'm thinking I just toasted a microSD card.

I've got a MicroSD card that was running ArchLinux ARM for a RPi2. I hadn't used it in a while because the project I was going to use it for didn't work the way I wanted. I tried firing it up again, and the install appeared to be broken. No worries because I wanted to load RetroPie on it now anyways.

However, I believe ArchLinux ARM is ext4, so the MicroSD was never recognized on my Windows 10 PC. Fired up my laptop running Solus, and used GParted to format the MicroSD as Fat32. Still didn't get recognized by my Windows PC. Tried NTFS as well. No luck. So, I gave up and just downloaded RetroPie image onto my laptop and DD'd it onto the MicroSD. Unfortunately, the Pi wouldn't boot into RetroPi. Some error that I didn't . About the same time as this is going on I had an episode of a show that shall not be mentioned on this forum playing in the background, and the person who will not be mentioned on this forum mentioned RecalBox. So, I decided to try that before trouble shooting RetroPi. So, I'm in the process of formatting the MicroSD as Fat32 with Gparter when my laptop dies. No GParted isn't able to recognize the partitions and crashes. And plugging it into my Windows 10 PC throws a revamped BSoD instantly after plugging it in. (I'm using a MicroSD to USB adapter on both PC's.)

Is all hope lost on that MicroSD? Cut my $8 loss?

TL;DR - In the middle of formatting a MicroSD card my laptop dies, and now I can't seem to get the MicroSD to work at all in Linux or Windows.

When you connect the Micro SD card to the W10 machine the explorer.exe crashes all toghether? What's the cause of the BSOD (i mean the message Windows throws)?
I don't think is possible to brick a Micro SD card that way, maybe you just have a borken partition on it but that's recoverable. Try a live utility like Acronis True Image to see if that utility is able to recognize the SD card and recover the damage.

have you tried running badblocks? maybe fdsk or chldsk?

If you have an MacOS machine you might try using Disk Utility. I've saved countless SD cards and USB with it.

My first reaction when it crashed after plugging in the MicroSD was to remove the MicroSD. I did it a second time just to get the message from the BSOD...and decided to leave it in and boot back up. When I booted back into Windows it was fine and I was able to format the MicroSD.

The BSOD was their new version with the frowny face...

The message was: Stop code: FAT FILE SYSTEM
What failed: fastfat.SYS

I couldn't find anything in the event viewer with more details...

Not that it matters now... but this is what was in the Event Viewer..

This was in the System tab 3 times with different guid's

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

These 3 were in the Application tab

• (Perflib)The Open Procedure for service "BITS" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

• (PerfNet) Unable to open the Server service performance object. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code.

• (Perflib) The Open Procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

try formating the flash drive with /dev/null

$ sudo fdisk -l

search through the output and find out what disk is yours. Should be some thing like /dev/sdb

$ sudo dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX

replace X with what disk your sd card is
TRIPPLE CHECK WHAT DISK YOUR WIPING. i have erased many drives by mistake that i didnt intend to.

I’m a little late to the party, but I’m excited as balls, I have an old 8gb microsd card that i thought was dead.

Turns out If I use ddrescue with the -R (reverse) option, it’s able to scrape about 5gb of crap off the drive, may be worth a go?

1 year later necro. Thread is locked.