I wanted to work on AWS’ Firecracker virtualization platform for a while. It uses KVM without QEMU and is used to run things like EKS, AWS Lambda functions., etc. I like that they offer the isolation of a VM and the ease of use (and performance) of a container.
The goal of Boxy is to –
0. Maintain firecracker deamon if required.
- Provide a CLI frontend to launch microVMs via firecracker
- Provide essential functionalities like networking
- Support rootfs (like the ones generated by docker export) so we can run Docker images directly onto the new platform
- Make it easy to tinker with firecracker VMs