Bought used Optane drive for boot drive use, what could go wrong?

I came across a p4800x 1.5TB on ebay for $900 and tax. The seller has a 99.5% positive feedback rating and is around 5 miles from what I live/work. I payed with paypal which is notoriously buyer friendly.

Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? CrystalDisk info shows that it has ~2 months of power on time and no reads/writes.

Could have been a hot spare.

that’s odd, even with formatting and occacional touching?

Wouldn’t the initial partitioning put some kind of writes on it?

Have headed optane is longer lived then mlc. Though as ram as in nvdimms, you can kill it quickly I have also heard.

I don’t see a problem.
Good luck though

I don’t think the killing comes from drive writes though.

Maybe bad airflow or bad power, but durability is much better than the bandwidth

No, different environment.
Nonvolatile Dimms, the new hot Intel shit named Optane Dimm.

Optane on a ddr4 like stick.

If you treat it like ram with writing the same cell lots and lots and lots, that kills it very quickly. I have heard.

1 Like

Okay, I re-read what you put, the dims wear out in normal use, not the AIC. thanks.
And now I see the

My bad

1 Like

Got it. It actually came in the mail the day after I posted. I couldn’t get sign and just picked it up from the post office last night.

I did some light testing (CrystalDiskMark, HD Tune, HD Tach, etc.) and it seems to work. It’s possible that it’s had firmware flashed to it and is a lower capacity but I think that’s highly unlikely.
I realized that it didn’t come with a PCI slot cover so I have one of those on order and am NOT using.

The next thing I need to do is to see if I can convert my M.2 nvme slot to PCIe 3.0 x4 with some adapter. I don’t want that thing blocking my video card’s airflow and cutting the card to x8.