Borderlands 2 won't start

I just got Steam working on Gentoo and my test game (Terraria) seems to work but when I try to launch Borderlands 2 it just gives me an empty X window without a name. First I thought this was a problem with the drivers (catalyst 15.9) but I've got the same issue when running the open source amdgpu. Btw I'm running a Fury X.

Edit: Another problem I've got is that downloads are really slow, sometimes dropping under 100kb/s.

I'm afraid this is the issue as far as Borderlands 2 goes...

(taken directly from the Steam Borderlands 2 store page in System Requirements)
"NOTICE: Intel Integrated video chipsets and ATI chipsets are currently unsupported for Borderlands 2 Linux."

While amd gpus may not be officially supported, they definitely work I played around 10 hours of Borderlands 2 on my old 280x on Ubuntu Gnome and around 70 hours on my Fury X (with both catalyst as well as amdgpu) on Arch it's just now on Gentoo that it's not working

1 Like

Launce steam in the console, it should give you some output for errors. Do you have S3TC support? Its required by a lot of games https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam#Games_troubleshooting

When I try to start Borderlands 2 in the console it gives me the following error message:
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 5231, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cedrick/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cedrick/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 49520
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198091518966 [API loaded no]
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cedrick/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
env: lspci: No such file or directory
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)

I also made sure s3tc is enabled and even get the error when I start steam using force_s3tc_enable=true steam