Boot-up sequence not displayed

I’m not sure if this was already discussed in other topics, but I did not find anything related to it following a quick search.

I recently bought a 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch (Single Monitor - Two Computer). I am very happy with my purchase as I connected everything that I wanted (i.e. keyboard, mouse, headphones, monitor, and webcam).

I have a Desktop PC and a Laptop connected to the switch. The Desktop PC is connected to the main monitor via the KVM switch (same for the laptop, but I also use the laptop monitor as a secondary display).

I only have one issue. When the Desktop PC is booting up (i.e. BIOS and Windows) the main monitor does not display the boot-up sequence. My monitor is a 27" Samsung Odyssey G7. I don’t have this issue with the Laptop because the boot-up sequence there is shown on the laptop’s monitor. Once Windows loads, the main monitor works fine.

As you can imagine, this is inconvenient in case I need to boot to the BIOS or go into Windows maintenance mode on start-up. The only way around this would be to detach the main monitor cable and connect it back directly to my Desktop PC.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way how this can be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

I know that some BIOS-es have an option to delay the boot sequences so stuff actually has time to show up on whatever given monitor. Also you can check and see if it perhaps tries to show to different output all together?

Your pc , laptops , and tablets all have f keys. Depending on the manufacturer the keys used to enter setup/ bios may be different
The info is in your manual or users guide.
You can also find it from the manufacturers support sites.
Once you know them you can key down on boot
Enter bios and disable silent or fast boot.
The device should then display boot information.

The fast boot process delays display to free up processor and memory thus allowing faster boot time.
But the downside is you cant see when to hit the buttons.

Generally though sometimes there is a very brief display telling you to hit a certain key for setup or select boot device .

Also a kvm switch might not display at all until after a specific point in the boot sequence.
Your main monitor must be configured as the #1 device. ( if the kvm is automatic or software controlled)

The #2 device is initialized after.

Thanks @Gnuuser and @Katie.

I finally had some time on my hands to check this. Unfortunately all your suggestions did not provide a resolution to my issue. I have tried all options:

• change to normal boot (as opposed to fast boot time)
  • changing my bios settings to compatibility support mode (although it would not keep these settings once I save and exited)
  • changing it to device #1
  • changed from a direct connection to a connection passing through the KVM while in the BIOS.

And none of the above makes any difference. In relation to the last point, if I try connecting through the KVM if I was in the BIOS, my monitor does not show that there is a signal input.

Based on the above, and my limited understanding of these things, I can only surmise two possible issues. Either the KVM does not support my monitor while in boot up mode, or there is an issue with the cable.

If you or anyone else have other solutions, let me know.

ok reread your first post.
its apparent your main monitor is most likely software driven and windows dependent for its definitive resolution.
it may not display during boot up sequence.
if it displays after windows has loaded its drivers that’s a clincher

but its possible for cabling issues to rear the ugly head
but is also possible for the graphics card to have issues or settings that may be hampering things.

i do not use kvm switches at all because ive seen far to many headaches with them both hardware and software.

I have two Samsung monitors hooked up to my L1Techs KVM and both exhibit this exact issue. If I swap out either of them for my old Benq BL3200PT, I can see my systems POST through the KVM every time without issue.

There is a trick that sometimes work with my Neo G8 or my U32J590. I manually get my screens to power on before starting my computer and get them to display their OSD so they don’t got to sleep. Then I power on my computer with the appropriate KVM input already selected, and then often I can see the POST screens. Otherwise these monitors do not light up until the Windows login screen. I can usually get into the BIOS though if I button mash DEL while turning on my computer. the BIOS Setup screen will eventually display on one of my monitors; often the portrait one which is a pain.

Hope this helps