Boot is stuck on error code b2, until I unplug my GPU

• mobo - Asus Maximus VI Hero
  • gpu - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2974-KR

Like the title says - I can't boot my pc, until I take out the evga gpu. It happened some time ago. 2 or 3 times I managed to boot after trying it probably more than 10 times. Then, because I had no time to get into this, I left my rig running without shutdown or reboot for a month or so. But I had to reboot a couple of days ago.
Now I simply can't boot, with that gpu - boot always gets stuck on b2 errror.

Please, help.
I really hope to get this fixed, as running with a single monitor on the inbuilt graphics is killing me these last days. And getting a new gpu is not in the budget atm :(

If you need any more info from me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The first thing I would try is to install the GPU in a different PCIe slot. See if this works. You may have something wrong with the slot itself.

Also try the GPU in another system, if you have access to one.

EDIT. Error code 2B is listed as memory initialization in the manual. If the above does not work, you may try removing all of the RAM and installing it one stick at a time and see if that does anything.

1 Like

Methinks, my gtx970 is dead :(

Here are the list of things I tried and the results:

• tried to put that gtx970 into another PCIe slot on the same machine - nope
  • tried to put that gtx970 into another machine - nope
    (same - no video and I assume, it's not booting - can't say exactly, as it's an older rig and the mobo does not have a convenient display showing status/error codes)
  • tried another gpu (and old gt430) in the main rig - yep, working

I guess it's time to RMA...
Or is there anything else to try out?

3 Likes

Sounds like you found the problem.

I am very thorough when I troubleshoot things. I don't like spending money on parts I don't need.
While it can be annoying and time consuming, in the end, you'll save money and learn something new in the process.

1 Like