Book of the Month - March/April Suggestions to vote on (Closes March 5)

Made by our own @Castiel

Sam awakens to a ruined world with no memories of who she is but she believes she is someone else. She must survive the Australian wasteland to find both herself and what's left of the life she had before.

6 Likes

Thanks for the nomination. I'm honored to be considered for a nomination. Me personal, I'm going to vote for the Foundation when it comes time to vote.

The Alienist

The year is 1896, the place, New York City. On a cold March night New York Times reporter John Schuyler Moore is summoned to the East River by his friend and former Harvard classmate Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, a psychologist, or "alienist." On the unfinished Williamsburg Bridge, they view the horribly mutilated body of an adolescent boy, a prostitute from one of Manhattan's infamous brothels.

The newly appointed police commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt, in a highly unorthodox move, enlists the two men in the murder investigation, counting on the reserved Kreizler's intellect and Moore's knowledge of New York's vast criminal underworld. They are joined by Sara Howard, a brave and determined woman who works as a secretary in the police department. Laboring in secret (for alienists, and the emerging discipline of psychology, are viewed by the public with skepticism at best), the unlikely team embarks on what is a revolutionary effort in criminology-- amassing a psychological profile of the man they're looking for based on the details of his crimes. Their dangerous quest takes them into the tortured past and twisted mind of a murderer who has killed before. and will kill again before the hunt is over.

Fast-paced and gripping, infused with a historian's exactitude, The Alienist conjures up the Gilded Age and its untarnished underside: verminous tenements and opulent mansions, corrupt cops and flamboyant gangsters, shining opera houses and seamy gin mills. Here is a New York during an age when questioning society's belief that all killers are born, not made, could have unexpected and mortal consequences.

More info can be found on the Wiki.

I have not read it, but it sounds more gruesome then it really is, in my opinion.

Class by Paul Fussell:
This book is out of print and written in the 80s, however it still says a lot about class distinction in america, with much of it still holding true today about how the concept is treated in america, and ultimately the insecurities it makes. If you can't get it on eBay, you could potentially get it in eBook format.

ISBN: 0671792253

Explain this then.

Dune

Synopsis:
A sandy militiary coup happens in the middle east (in space) when foreign interests start to run low on space oil, displacing the native space muslims, who then form space ISIS in an attempt to reinstate space sharia law on their planet and eventually turn it into a paradise, via terroristic attacks on symbols of space capitalism, with the help of magical living oil pipelines and a former member of the previous regime's ruling family. Written in the format of a historical political drama

ISBN-10: 0441172717

3 Likes

Please, do one book per post, so that people can vote separately.
Include synopsis for each.

Wut? Isn't it like last time, 3 likes per voter?
Btw, who doesn't like Peanuts? Never met such a person in my life. :D

1 Like

Silver Locusts

Synopsis:
The Martian Aryans have everything they could possibly ask for, when all of a sudden, space-doublewides full of filthy immigrants hailing from sunward of the border start landing on their pristine planet. Said immigrants then systematically take their jobs, start committing crimes, devalue neighboring properties, and otherwise ruin the neighborhood. Presented as a collection of candid accounts

ISBN-10: 0552082740

Because the like button is a toggle, you can't vote for anything more than once so it can't skew the vote. The 2 that amass the most likes are the winner. Also, this is such a casual thing, it doesn't need rigid rules unless people start getting ugly about it.

If that happens we'll send Conan the Librarian after them

Worst that could happen is someone making multiple fake accounts just to get their favorite book voted but that takes a lot of effort and people would immediately find out.

Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut.

It was his first novel, published in 1952, and takes place in a world where automation has led to a class system with skilled engineers and managers on one side and frustrated unemployables on the other.

Dat foresight.

2 Likes

I've read a short story by him called harrison bergeron and I quited enjoyed it. That book sounds really interesting.

1 Like

Rogue Trooper: Tales of Nu Earth 1

Description

Nu-Earth, a planet ravaged by war, its atmosphere poisoned by chemical weapons. In this battle-scarred landscape, the Norts and the Southers fight where only the Genetic Infantrymen can survive unaided. Rogue is one such soldier and these are his tales...

When three members of his unit are shot on a mission, Rogue pulls the bio-chips from their bodies and inserts them into his gun, backpack and helmet. Thus equipped Rogue, and his wise-talking buddies, make the most fearsome unit on Nu-Earth.

Cover art

2 Likes

Oh, I didn't know, well hey go and buy it, it's $6.46

ghost in a shell the manga
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=zH4IDgAAQBAJ&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKTAD0930BO1&gclid=CImA2vTLvdICFWqbMgodxj8I1g&gclsrc=ds

it's cyber punk sci fi and written with a great attention to the science of robotics and cyborgs and they do take more inventive approach to computers but this is after the ai's take over and change everything. this is the book the movies and tv show was based on translated into english.

also why 2 threads?
nvm im dumb and posted in janurary thread

3 Likes

A manga is a comic book right? Because we're mainly all about books here.

That said (as somebody who's never read a manga before), Ghost in The Shell is one of two mangas that have been on my to-do list for a while now. The second being Akira. Apart from those two, I'd started reading Transmetropolitan (not a manga, I know) but didn't get far because stuff got in the way and I'd forgotten about it... until now.
Strangely enough, not even reading Neuromancer reminded me of it.

1 Like

At least that comic book has one volume and not 50.

2 Likes

Very true. Makes it easier to nominate than berserk vol. 237 or whatever

But at the same time, how long is the manga because manga does not take long to finish at all.