Book keeping & Accounting - What do you use?

Did some searching, didn’t find any exsisting threads on this subject (which suprised me). Intuit/Quickbooks makes me angry, Simply/Sage makes me angry, accounting makes me angry, book keeping makes me angry…

So, I begin the hunt for an alternative to the two 500-pound gorillas known as Intuit and Sage. Ideally it would be web-based (so as to be as platform-agnostic as possible) and have the ability to save/print all the reports an accountant could possibly want. Last but not least, I live in Canada, so support for Canuck Bucks is a must.

So far I’ve found Wave (https://www.waveapps.com). Haven’t been able to find many reviews; does anyone on here have experience with them?

I bought but haven’t used yet; Kashoo. I think it’s a Canadian company. You can get a free trial for a month. They have/had a discount for the first year. Normally it’s about C$200.00/year.

I’ve been looking for an app for tracking my personal expenses. I don’t necessarily need Quickbooks or Sage though. Maybe I just need to make a spreadsheet.

They’ve managed to make the older versions of QB obsolete by making the registration process online only. And then they shut those servers down.

If it’s just expenses, maybe Mint? https://www.mint.com/

2 Likes

MYOB was the best until Intuit bought it back in 2001 and abolished it. Once the non-compete was up, MYOB came back into Canada as Account Edge.

Account Edge is the best in Canada IMO, YMMV. We have used Quickbooks and Simply Accounting. I would not use web based software. I try not to store data on the web whenever possible.

LibreOffice Calc

3 Likes

Pen and paper.

I run a few businesses and have used different accounting products over the years ie; MYOB, QuickBooks, Sage and AccountMate.

These days I use Xero for just about everything as it handles payroll, super, bank reconciliation, invoicing etc and the scalable pricing/cost seems fair as your business grows.

I also use AndCo for consultancy work because I get it for free.

I’d definitely recommend Xero.

Giving Wave a try with a side business (2-4 invoices per month). Can’t beat the price (free) if your needs are tiny…

1 Like