Book Club Anyone?

When the brainstorming for Level 1 Techs was happening @kreestuh had an idea to have a book club here. Would anyone have any interest in that?

10 Likes

That could be fun. Possible ideas for it: Read a book [depending on length of book] in month, discuss on discord, or have a thread for the book, etc. Those that participate could take turns picking three books for the group to vote on to read. The one that gets the most votes is the one that gets read.

I'd be interested in participating in it.

1 Like

aye lets go. I've been contemplating on how I only read assigned books, not those that I am really interested in.

1 Like

I don't read but if its on audible I might be down.

2 Likes

Yes... As long as not dime store erotica romance novels

4 Likes

1st read:
50 Shades of Grey

2 Likes

If we want fantasy books I can recommend like 80+ that's how big my audible library is, I do shoot for 20+hr books though since its $11 per credit regardless.

Thats not a dime

That's an epic of how to have healthy long lasting, trusting relationships.

On real note, I have a long list of cyberpunk/general scifi that could be good.

2 Likes

About to finish 'The Trial' by Franz Kafka on a serious note.

4 Likes

This is great and I think we have enough time to get it rolling for January. I really do much better when I have something like this to motivate my reading. Currently on my to read list are a few by Richard Feynman and a few by Carl Sagan. I'll post a "Vote for book" thread separate from this one. Let's use this to offer up some suggested titles.

5 Likes

Damn there goes all of my suggestions

2 Likes

Cool. How about everyone drop some titles and 2 sentence synopsis (or links to synopsis) on this thread and the 3 that get the most likes will go on a separate Vote-for thread?

2 Likes

My book suggestion is: "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" by Richard Feynman: https://www.amazon.com/Pleasure-Finding-Things-Out-Richard/dp/0465023959

It is a collection of essays, interviews, and lectures by one of the physicists who worked on the Manhattan Project. He's also won the Nobel Prize in 1965. It is available on Audible and I can get the audio version free through my library's digital lending app, so people might look there too if they'd rather listen.

3 Likes

I'm going to go with two books I haven't read yet but I want to.

Foundation
by Isaac Asimov
I've heard so much about the Foundation series. Isaac Asimov is one of the best Sci Fi writers.

What is about:

For twelve thousand years the Galactic Empire has ruled supreme. Now it is dying. But only Hari Sheldon, creator of the revolutionary science of psychohistory, can see into the future--to a dark age of ignorance, barbarism, and warfare that will last thirty thousand years. To preserve knowledge and save mankind, Seldon gathers the best minds in the Empire--both scientists and scholars--and brings them to a bleak planet at the edge of the Galaxy to serve as a beacon of hope for a fututre generations. He calls his sanctuary the Foundation.

But soon the fledgling Foundation finds itself at the mercy of corrupt warlords rising in the wake of the receding Empire. Mankind's last best hope is faced with an agonizing choice: submit to the barbarians and be overrun--or fight them and be destroyed.

Leviathan Wakes
by James S. A. Corey
The Sy Fy series Expanse is based of this series of books. I've heard nothing but great things about the series. The series is a joint written effort between two writers. One of my friends descriped as Game of Thrones on a space level.

What is it about:

Two hundred years after migrating into space, mankind is in turmoil. When a reluctant ship's captain and washed-up detective find themselves involved in the case of a missing girl, what they discover brings our solar system to the brink of civil war, and exposes the greatest conspiracy in human history.

5 Likes

Im in.

Some "classics":

I wouldn't place any really above another in terms of quality, they are all quite good reads.

3 Likes

I like the idea as it encourages reading but if I remember correctly with these we all have to read the same thing picked out for the month and then discuss it and I am not up for that.

1 Like

I probably could not keep up but I would like to get in on it. Follow the list and contribute as and when I can. Been reading a lot more recently.

Also @gearheadgirl27 you are still around. Cool.

If this gets big we could possibly run a choice of books per time period, so people who are not into what ever subject can have something to look into and a few other people on the same line.

I know some stuff I read is just not interesting, so I would hot expect others to be happy reading it. Just a thought.

As for suggestions, 13 Things That Don't Make Sense was good and easy to read, short enough and made me think, science stuff.

1 Like

All good thoughts. The voting kind of lets people pick and choose on participation and I think we should gauge the time frame for completion by the length of book. A month is really ambitious for a lot of us to finish anything in the 20hr range for sure.

Also, I never left ;)

1 Like

Truth be told, I have never read 1984

2 Likes