Blue Origin's moon lander Blue Moon, BE-7 HyLox engine, O'Neill Cylinders, and more

Story at Ars Technica (more at the Google News) and a 60-minute video presentation [YouTube].

Blue Moon and BE-7 have been in development for three years; they use technology from the New Shepherd program which has been in development since 2012.

BE-7, the newly announced HyLox vacuum engine, will test-fire this summer (HyLox because this fuel can be made on the moon by electrolysis of H2O ice found there).

New Glenn, Blue Origin’s orbital rocket, is due for its first launch in 2021; its BE-4 MethaLox atmospheric engine is in final testing now.

2 Likes

Do they have a launch vehicle yet that can take this to the moon?

After reading some of the Ars article, that’s what the BE-7 is for.

And this isva cargo thing which is what was looking for info on.

That would be New Glenn, the successor to New Shepherd and currently in development, due for first launch in 2021. Its BE-4 engines are near final certification. ULA have already contracted for use of the BE-4 for their Vulcan launch vehicle.

2 Likes

BE-7 is for landing the lander on the moon, and for launching it from the surface of the moon, after it’s been refueled from HyLox produced on the moon. It has the distinction of being a highly throttleable engine for use with these delicate maneuvers.

BE-4 is for the main Earth-based reusable launch vehicle, New Glenn, that would launch the Blue Moon lander, also using a second-stage with vacuum-modified BE-3 engine from New Shepherd, into a lunar transfer orbit.

2 Likes

Thanks, i wasn’t able to look much up at the time.

Looks interesting. From what i can tell there looking at 2021 for first flight testing of the New Glenn. So a ways off yet along with the likely inevitable failures, maybe well see reliability by 2022.

I do wonder whats holding them back.