Blu Ray playback in vm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to setup Blu Ray playback in a QEMU/KVM Windows guest. Out of the box PowerDVD complains about no encryption going from the gpu to the monitor. Has anybody tried this before?

Cant you just rip them yourself? Does it need to be in BluRay?

I could rip them, but I‘m curious if it‘s possible.

It feels like it should be possible.

I dont have a BluRay drive myself but if you do a passthrough of the GPU and BluRay drive, it should work with a Windows VM, presumably.

I misunderstood the error message. The probleme is the virtio driver for the drive.

When I was building a HTPC for my parents years ago I was looking at how to play Blu Rays on Linux and the solution I found was to rip the blu ray with makeMKV, play it as it rips, and then delete the MKV as it goes.

I was such a hilarious and convoluted solution I just ended up ripping the Blu Rays to a NAS and playing them from there.

1 Like

I know. I do have a makemkv licence, but for some reason KDE cant find my NAS. Webbrowser works, FTP-client works, Gnome works, Windows VM works, but not KDE.

And I‘m more interessted in playback from discs than streaming.

Not sure but I think it’s related to HDCP. For that to work you’ll propably need to passthrough a GPU. I’m at least not aware of any other means to get HDCP working in a VM.

2 Likes

The vm has access to a gpu.

That’s not what I meant. Emulating a GPU doesn’t mean that HDCP works. You’ll need a real GPU for that, but I’m not even sure if that’s enough.

Its not a emulated gpu. A RX 6600 XT is passed through to the vm.

Thanks for clarifying! I think somewhere in the AMD control panel you can see the status of HDCP…

If it’s an ultra hd blu ray then intel cpu is required. Just throwing that out there.

2 Likes

From 11th gen or before too as the removed the SGX portion that dealt with UHD BD encryption.

2 Likes

Hi,

quick update. The solution to the problem is to also passthrough the SATA-Controller. I only had SATA-SSDs in my system so I could not test it until I had found some deals on Western Digital nvme disks.

2 Likes