Blockchain WWW idea

Im no expert on blockchain but this seems like a terrible idea to me, for 1 it would make the internet more centralized than it is now. Second, the speeds would be horrendous, you'd have to store the entire blockchain on a local or cloud system to access it which is a logistical nightmare.

But maybe there's a way to make it work??

There's not enough information to make a definitive call, but I certainly don't see how this would centralize anything. Can you elaborate?

So you're thinking of how if you download and store the entire blockchain offline, of every transaction ever made, it is huge and slow, right?

I think we should think of this as Etherium's Contracts. Where everyone has a wallet, and can make a contract with someone else for arbitrary code/data. So I can say I'm quickly making a contract transaction with your web server, where you send me the information I requested through https.

You don't have to store the blockchain offline. You can have a cloud store it, like it stores the DNS chain of trust for domains. The danger with that and currency is that you can lose your shit (like Mt Gox) if you don't have an offline backup, but in this case you'll just lose your internet history. Am I right here?

Still, as far as I understand it, it seems this indeed will generate a lot of data overhead that will need to be stored. (transaction receipt history) Maybe they have a different approach to that somehow, or maybe the overhead is manageable by our clouds.

1 Like

I think this is absolutely amazing and will save us all :stuck_out_tongue:
And I'm sad I'm not fortunate enough to have been part of, not them and their idea, but that environment that creates these disruptive brilliant solutions. (europe is conservative and restrained as fuck in terms of disruption)

Like I said, no expert on it but from what I can tell this would be a nightmare of logistics and infrastructure.

It's partly just a PGP for the web (instead of just email/chat/text). Kinda sorta what Kim Dotcom is/was doing with Mega's encryption. The web works as it always has, except it now stores encrypted data. The blockchain protocol is just used to facilitate the connections between entities (e.g. you and a server) - and this is where I need to do more research

Bryan Lunduke interviewed Blockstack co-founder Ryan Shea

2 Likes

Thanks for post!

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.