Bit concerned about this PoE switch, auto sensing non-PoE devices? (Netgear ProSafe GS110TP)

Hello all,

I’ve acquired this, the manual suggests the PoE facility is auto-sensing, i.e. it won’t send power if not asked for. Is that right? I’m a bit worried about plugging in PC’s,router, etc., even though the instructions show PC’s being plugged in.

Thanks!

i have no clue about that particular switch.

But PoE as in plain “PoE” is usually 24V Passive which will kill hardware that doesn’t expect it.
PoE+ is the 48V sensing that is way more safe, but no clue with that thing.

1 Like

Documentation says it supports 802.3af, so it should do auto-sense if the connected device requests PoE.

The PoE spec asks for 37 to 57V. The 24V is a “do our own way”-approach taken by some companies.

3 Likes

Cheers @MazeFrame , very much appreciated :+1:t2:

1 Like

Ethernet spec requires magnetically coupled ports. That means DC current should not be passing through the device as a result of 24V between some pairs of pins.

2 Likes

well, my crosshair 6 hero didn’t like it. Smoked a bit and Lan didn’t work anymore.
Hopefully it just hit the “languard” thing.

2 Likes

:cold_sweat: Wow, really sorry to read that.

1 Like

:sob: that’s supposed to be one of the good ones.

1 Like

Ahhh, well may be I’ll try them with disposable machines as a test. All I know is I very briefly tried plugging them in a machine went funny about it :-/

is the switch managed?
If it is then you can go into it and force turn off POE on a given port

1 Like

That’s a good point, it is managed so I’ll log in and have a look again. First time I logged in, it didn’t look like I could, but it was an unfamiliar GUI