Bios Splash screen only visible from onboard graphics output and no display until os boot when swithed to PCIe

I have been having this issue for quite a while, my computer only shows the bios splash screen(boot logo and press DEL to enter bios screen) through the on board graphics output of the motherboard.

If i just wait the OS boots through both outputs without issue.

When i go into the bios settings to change the initial display output from Integrated graphics to PCIe
and save the settings the next time i boot up the bios splash screen will not appear on either the PCIe or the onboard video output and i have to physically open the case disconnect the Gpu and change the settings back to the way they were before.

Another issue is when i change the setting for internal graphics from enabled to auto or disabled i can not get back into the bios until i reset the settings again. I have been looking up for solutions online but most things i found just tell me to change these two settings.

My current conjectures are as follows:
1- Monitor may not be compatible with the output from the Gpu(but since it works through the onboard graphics output that is unlikely), I do not have access to another monitor or screen so i can not test this, but i have tried all HDMI inputs on mine. Made no difference

2- The HDMI output on the Graphics card does not allow or support being used while booting(there are 3 DP and 1 HDMI outputs on the card since the screen i am using does not have DP i can only use the HDMI port)

3- There might be an issue related to the motherboard or the Gpu hardware(unlikely since i have no other issues when using the computer day to day)

So far i have tried changing the aforementioned settings in the bios multiple times, along with mounting the graphics card on different PCIe slots which changed nothing. The bios is updated to the latest F11 version and all drivers are up to date, Posting here is pretty much my last option as i can no longer think of any other option any help would be appreciated.

Pc Build
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL17 Memory
Storage: Crucial P2 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE GOLD V2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-S09XLT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan

Screen i am using is a Samsung 40" 4K tv model No: UE40JU6610UXTK

[quote=“kaanozt, post:1, topic:179612”]
2- The HDMI output on the Graphics card does not allow or support being used while booting(there are 3 DP and 1 HDMI outputs on the card since the screen i am using does not have DP i can only use the HDMI port)
[/quote] Correct, I think that’s the default behavior of the gtx 2000/1000 series, you may have better luck with a DP to HDMI converter?
You can get into the bios from windows10/11, or am I missing something? Most TV’s aren’t fast enough to wake up, what happens if you just mesh the del-key on your kboard during boot up?
In the mean time, leave the GFX in slot 1, disable the iGPU, set initial display output to PCIe slot 1, save/reboot - twice! because sometimes it just doesn’t stick, and that’s if meshing the delete key actually accomplishes anything?

There’s two things I would look at first:

Does the GPU behave differently in another pcie slot? -EDIT- NVM I see you tried that

If you go through the ’ boot into bios’ procedure in windows, does that work?

If the bios is set to boot with Internal graphics the splash screen comes up normally and i can get into the bios both during boot and via windows.(while connected to the HDMI on the MoBo.

If I set the initial output to PCIe the machine may be going into the bios but there is no output from the HDMI so this is only a guess,
If i mesh the DEL key when it is booting with PCIe the screen remains black indefinitely until i press F4 which should be because it gets out of the bios and continues to boot and when the OS starts up the screen comes up.

If i disable the internal graphics and set the initial output to PCIe it does not change anything and as a extra step to be able to get back into the bios i have to reset the settings and boot once without the GPU(i mean physically removing it) because the default setting in the bios is booting with PCIe if the board detects a GPU(in this case i cannot get into the bios through windows either).

I’ll try getting hold of a DP to HDMI adapter to see if it does anything

Also this may not be the case but, would the GPU and the Onboard graphics have different resolutions in the bios which could also be causing some sort of issue with the screen (though the tv always says no signal but i am not sure if it has a different error like incompatible resolution or something similar.

Are you on the latest motherboard BIOS and GPU VBIOS versions? You can check for VBIOS updates in Asus’s GPUTweak utility.

This really needs tested on a different display. Or try forcing the monitor to 1080p. I’m wondering if the TV wants a HDCP handshake before displaying anything 4k, and the graphics card needs a driver to fallback/handshake, while the UEFI driver for the intel iGPU can do a fallback.

Also try a different cable.

It’s possible, I have a setup similar to yours and the TV displays the boot process without issues (hdmi 2.0 rtx 2070 and 2.1 rtx3070). I’ve used converters in the past and they usually get around this problem, this would be your best bet. Do you have a spare vid card to test?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.