Bios flashing a 7950, how is it done?

The reason I want to flash to a different bios is 1. the card overvolts itself for some reason and the voltage is locked on the bios level so there's nothing I can do about it 2. the card alternates between core state 1 (900 mhz) and core state 2 (850mhz) constantly. I've already found several bios that have the settings I want but how do I check if a bios is compatible? also what flashing tool should I use? and what do I need to do to ensure I don't brick the card?

A quick Google search yielded over 6 different posts on how to flash a 7950 and for different versions of the card too. The BIOS being compatible is down to you, is it the same card as the BIOS you are flashing, then go for it. To not BRICK the card, close everything not needed and make sure you are on a stable power source, you really don't want to loose power mid flash.

Use ATIWinflash.
ATIWinflash 2.6.7

I usually create an ATIWinflash folder in the C:/ drive right next to the AMD folder, it's easier to access that way.

To flash the BIOS:

1. Use GPU-Z to save the old BIOS as a .rom file. Name it something like "7950OLD.rom".

2. Download the new .rom and place it in the ATIWinflash folder, again naming it something you can remember and distinguish from the other BIOS.

3. Run CMD as administrator.

4. In CMD type cd C:\ATIWinflash and hit enter. This will route you from Win32 to C:\ATIWinflash.

5. Now type ATIWinflash -f -p 0 7950NEW.rom (Obviously replace the .rom name with what you named the file.)

6. After the flashing is finished, restart windows. You may need to reinstall the drivers, or let windows recognize the GPU and restart a second time.

You can also download Radeon Bios Editor (RBE), which will allow you to change the BIOS info, or just view it. I use this to check SSIDs and hash on different .rom files so you don't end up flashing a possibly incompatible BIOS to the card.

IF YOU "BRICK" THE CARD, MOVE IT TO THE SECOND PCI-E OR USE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS TO RECOVER THE BIOS WITH THE ORIGINAL ROM.

1 Like

This is everything I needed thank you. Flash has been successful