Best wireless network card (M.2)

I was planning to buy an i3-10110u laptop that has Intel 9462NGW Wireless Card.

I intend to use this device as a thin client.

What I usually do (or plan to do in the future):

1. I work on my NAS and SSH into my server.
  2. I also RDP into my server-side Windows machine.
  3. PS4 remote streaming.
  4. Multimedia playback from NAS.
  5. I prefer the convenience of wireless over wired.

Hence, fast and low latency wireless networking is a priority for me.

My Wireless Access Point is Asus RT-AC58U AC1300. I do not plan to upgrade it any time soon.

I was thinking of upgrading my wireless card (as I’ve seen critical evaluation of Intel 9462NGW on notebookcheck iperf tests)

The cards I had in mind are:

1. Intel AX200
  2. Intel 7260.HMWG.R

Questions:

1. Should I change the inbuilt card?
  2. Which card should I opt for, given I don’t plan to upgrade my WAP?

Thank you

It’s likely not an m.2 but a micro pcie.

It’s m.2

Source: The specs document from manufacturer states “One M.2 2230 slot for WiFi and Bluetooth combo card”

Ok I just wanted to confirm because that’s weird.

No problem.

I’m going with Intel AX201 as of now. (bought it on Aliexpress)

This card has some weirdity (if that’s a word) in the way that it is only compatible with 10th gen Intel processors and up and the motherboard has to have CnVio2 interface.

I will update how it went after usage.

PS: I also learned that Intel 9560, which is present on many high-end laptops requires Cnvio1 interface.

It is quite difficult to find resources on Wifi Cards and their interfaces. So little material is present on the topic. :face_with_monocle:

I think that’s because many people don’t upgrade their laptops. Also WiFi cards have been funky on laptops for a while. Some manufactures like Lenovo are known to white list cards in their BIOS. Which in turn makes it harder to upgrade the cards.

1 Like

This ^^

Depending on model you won’t be able to swap it anyway but to that end I would say you shouldn’t change it anyway. There’s no real advantage given you only have an AC capable access point. An AX client doesn’t improve anything realistically.

The best one is definitely the AX200/AX201 series, or their killer derivatives. They even support Bluetooth 5.1 now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.