Best Wifi Router For File Sharing?

Hello there,
I want your suggestion in router or networking equipment being good for file sharing and the reason why i use the term "Networking equipment" is because if sharing bigger files isn't really possible with wifi router yet then i am thinking of bringing network cable in every room then put a 5 port hub and connect my computer or Tv to it.But it will be very convenient for me if only i can fine one wifi router with a capacity to transfer my files over network.
Now example scenario can be like this, A router(Connected with NAS or something) 30 feet away.
possibly 4 computer connected to it and 4 mobile devices and there are 1080p movies in NAS that should be easily streamable and also a computer can easily send data or backup to NAS.
Internet is not a problem as in my country i can only get like 10 MBPS.
These above are my requirment please suggest me a good wifi router.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx

psshhh shouldn't be a problem. I have a first gen Nighthawk that lets me download 22 MegaBytes a seconds over wifi (from my local media repo). Anything on that level or higher and you'd be golden.

I personally really favor the current ASUS stuff. It's super easy to flash unlocked software which gets you access to everything, and out of the box they have a bunch of built in goodness like USB printer sharing (without requiring proprietary software), file sharing, DDNS, bandwidth limiting per device and a bunch of other stuff I use all the time.

They also have a really good app that lets you do just about anything remotely.

As far as file transfer, I can easily achieve 80-100 MB/s over wireless from a local share, which is only limited to a max 128 MB/s by the 1 gbps Ethernet. My family and I use Plex all the time off said share and can confirm they work well with a NAS.

I have a bit of an older model, but the AC88U checks off all those boxes and is good bang for buck.

As an example of the convenience of an open router and what you can do, you can check out my post I made about a year ago about router level ad block. https://forum.level1techs.com/t/diy-router-level-ad-blocking-anyone-else-doing-this/85396

1 Like