Best way to make a custom Windows image

Good day everyone,

So I recently got my gaming computer back up and running. I installed Windows 10 and then ran AtlasOS to “clean it up” a bit. I installed the basic software and drivers I wanted and kinda have it set up as a good base.

Now that is all done I was wondering if there was a good way to “snapshot” this configuration or create a bootable iso? Ideally I would like to be able to keep this image on my storage server and if I ever need to wipe and rebuild my computer I can just re-install this image from my server or make a install disk on a flash drive/disk.

What is the best way to go about something like this?

Disk/partition backup with Acronis or Rescuezilla.

2 Likes

I will take a look at those thanks!

I’ve been doing this for years… especially when I was still working as support and had to do people’s pc. Always a ready OS as an image and hidden for better times so as not to do everything by hand again, especially since different configurations and older equipment with problematic drivers.

Actually, with the advent of the W7 era, even updating such an image ven windows update was not a problem.
I was throwing such an image into a virtual machine, it would adapt to the new environment a bit, quick updates and re-creating an image that could be pushed onto bare metal if needed. :wink:

At work, we fortunately have a unified environment and an additional machine that acts as a master copy. :wink:

Both programs have a live boot usb. Create a flash drive and boot from it if necessary and restore the OS. You can also keep the image on it or download it from smb/ftp.

2 Likes

I’ve used this to make the image of a system and then to create the bootable iso to use with your disk image:

Then I’d use something like this to make your usb bootable so all you need to do is drop the aome boot image and the iso that aome creates of your system onto the usb disk and then just boot from it when needed.

The nice thing I loke about doing it this way is if you need to update the image or want to put a bootable linux distro onto the usb drive is just to copy the iso file onto the usb drive ans away you go!

My $0.02 for what it’s worth!

2 Likes

I use ventoy but most of my work has been in Linux land for the last few years lol.

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

ventoy has a .tar.gz version so in theory your good to go!

Just a second method to have on hand to try if needed!

:grinning:

1 Like

I always thought it was too dangerous for everyday use, especially if connected to the internet. But I guess they came to their senses.

That + it is sitting in my guest VLAN with no access to my internal network. Literally all it does is play video games and Adobe so it just has to access trusted web stores (steam, GOG, Adobe, etc). No casual web browsing.

2 Likes

Probably the same thing they said in a Chinese laboratory about C19… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As others have stated you could just use software to create a backup image. For something like this Id just use clonezilla.

Windows also has tools such as DISM to create an image of the OS as well. It really just depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to jump.

I ended up using clonezilla last night. Was really easy to just use ssh credentials to stream the backup directly to my NAS.

1 Like