Best VPN Service?

Hello, I am looking for the best VPN Service, I have seen that there are many VPN services out there. This is why it’s confusing to decide which one should I buy. My main reason for purchasing the VPN is to access the blocked channels in my region. There are few VPNs I have found my self who are offering good discount currently. Please recommend me that which one should I select!

1- Express VPN (12 Months + 3 Months FREE)

2- PureVPN (12 Free Accounts on Purchase of anyone)

3- PIAVPN (65% Discount on Two Years)
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

Have a look here: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/
That’s a fairly complete feature comparison. Decide what’s important to you and you’re done.

Edit: Some examples
Of the three you listed, only PureVPN isn’t based in a 14-eyes country.
Only PIA doesn’t log timestamps.
None offer anonymous payment

And so forth.

Thanks for sharing the useful resource Domsch.

I have used purevpn to do what you are suggesting honestly they are all probably about the same, and since you not really using it for security not really a big deal which one you choose.

If you want to give l1t some kickback they have a few links on their page

Yes security is not my main concern, but I have hear that many VPN servers slow down the streaming and internet speed, which is my main concern.

I tend to use the protonvpn.

1 Like

If you have basic linux experience and want a VPN specifically to unblock Netflix/Hulu/whatever and not to protect yourself when pirating, I suggest getting a cheap VM and rolling your own wireguard VPN with Algo.

Netflix in particular is very good at blocking commercial VPNs, so they won’t offer a consistent experience. Rolling your own will.

Relatively new offering from Purism, a company that makes privacy-respecting laptops (and has a phone in the works).

Includes VPN, but also access to tunnels, federated social media, chat, and a few other things.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I haven’t tried Express or Pure VPN so I can’t really say much about them. But for AstrillVPN which is the VPN that I have been using for 2-3 years now and the service has been really great. No complain yet.

NordVPN, PIA, ProtonVPN… or choose a cheap VPS / dedicated server (kimsufi/aruba) and set your openvpn there and push your traffic through it.

Yes I have a little bit experience with Linux, I will try this method thanks for the suggestion @Ruffalo

Does it work with Netflix and other Streaming Platforms?

Yes, it works with Netflix. Here is a screenshot of it while connected to a Japan server. But for other streaming platforms I don’t know. Sorry I only use Netflix.

I’m really liking Proton VPN at $4.00 a month. I always run DNS Leak Test on it and there’s never any intervening servers between me and the Proton server I’m using, usually in Russia.

Also, Proton Mail is excellent too.

Proton is ok. It even has double tunneling. But … There is also the question of deciding when to give information about the user to government law enforcement agencies.

ProtonVPN had such a case. The bad guy did bad things using ProtonVPN. When the law came for him, Proton help in his targeting.
This is an academic discussion. Should the VPN provider be absolutely unbiased, no matter what evil.
However, if the VPN provider can selectively decide which user will be targeted, then whether this service still makes sense.
Most people do not do bad using VPN. So the argument will be that “they do not have to be afraid of anything.” The problem, however, may not be “what you do” and what “the government decides” about you.
Many VPN providers claim that they do not collect logs. That they are located away from the 5/14 eyes. That they have business registered in exotic countries. The truth, however, is that it’s all empty claims. Everything is based on a very fragile trust that some VPN providers have already broken.

Rule number one. Never trust a VPN provider, no matter who and what he claims and what opinions he has. Always assume that if this day comes, you will be sold in one way or another!

Rule one of doing “bad things”: Don’t freakin’ do them on your own PC.

Apart from the fact, that it’s a moral discussion i’m not really interested in (each VPN Provider can choose how their stance is on this), If you only rely on a VPN to be anonymous on the internet, you’re doing it wrong.

At the moment I’m using expressvpn, get decent speeds. 6-8MB/sec. They do however log DNS queries, so on the privacy part I’m not too happy. I did setup custom DNS servers which block Google tracking for most things though, does a bit of what I want.

I made a script that checked speed on all their servers, filtered out the slow ones and was left with 10 or so that gave me more than 5MB/sec. Then using iptables and route, I setup load balancing, now I’m always using 3 tunnels at a time. If in EU, I can recommend expressvpn server in Copenhagen, Rotterdam and Monaco, iirc Frankfurt was also decent.

Tried NordVPN a while ago, got rather shitty speed, they do however not log anything as far as I know.

Netflix, HBO and all the other streaming I have no idea about speeds, don’t use any of them.

This is closed as it is outside the revived thread guidelines. Feel free to create a fresh topic, or PM one of the Leaders if you think this was incorrectly closed. See here for more info.