Best stable ram for 5900

What ram would you recommend for a home server?
This is the PCs specs as of now
PC Specs
3700X
X570 asrock extreme4
32Gb@3600 19-20-20-40
1080Ti Zotac Amp extreme

This is what I’m planing to do with this hardware. For the game server it is going to be running for 24-7-365 one Minecraft Bedrock and Two Java (Pixelmon and a custom mod pack). These game servers are going to be every once and a while Terraria, 7 Day to Die, and some others but only one server at a time.

Proxmox VMs and LXC

Jellyfin
nextclound
torrent box [qbit]
Game Servers [Crafty Controller or MCSManager]
Syncthing
Mailserver - not important but using it to learn
Vaultwarden
Rustdesk
Funkwahle or Jellyfin
Stump or Kavita or Jellyfin

looking into

Windows 10 & 11 - Might not be possible
Photoprims
grafana
Paperless
sshwifty
dashy
samba
gitea
RSSHub
BlueBubbles-server or Airmessage [Proxmox Support? AMD CPU support?]

ThatGuyB recommended to get 64Gb. Should I get 2x32gb for now until I replace the cpu to a 59X0 or should I get 4x16Gb since you won’t think I will ever need 128Gb. For each scenario what timing should I get and at what speed? From what I understand the speeds in dual channel are going to be faster then in quad channel is that right? And also if you are going to recommend a specific ram then then I want one without RGB.

Sorry for the duplicated post if there is one. I tried to find another post but they are for different CPUs. Will respond in 8-12 hours of this post unless I forget to sign in.

Thanks you for you help.

Best 24/7 stability? Probably some ECC 3200mhz 32GB dimms, 1.2v 22-22-22-52 I think?
Good enough stability and much cheaper? Any non-ECC dimms with the above stock JEDEC timings.
The ECC costs about 2~3x as much at any given time, but if you really want 24/7 stability…
Apparently that board supports it officially, too. Not all X570 boards do.

If you care about stability, just don’t bother going with XMP or DOCP or XPO or anything like that. I’m not sure memory overclocking even really impacts normal software performance enough to justify it on a server. It seems to be more down to legacy 3D APIs and outdated windows system calls hammering one spot in memory over and over.

Always refer to your motherboard’s QVL (qualified vendor list) as well. Just because it acts stable on one motherboard/CPU combo does not mean it works on yours. The QVL is what the vendor did some form of stability/verification testing.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570%20Extreme4/index.asp#MemoryVM would be for a 5000 series chip. Most likely if it works for 3000 series then 5000 series should be more stable (in general).

1 Like

from my anecdotal experience, QVLs are basically useless. I’ve had no end of trouble from memory on the QVL, to the point where I RMA’d the board and ram individually, and it was just never stable at any settings. Got some not-QVL JEDEC memory and everything worked perfectly, even clocked higher than the CPU officially supported without any fuss.

Pretty sure it’s mostly just an excuse to deny warranty and fleece money from a couple memory brands.
ECC is probably a little different, though, since it apparently will work in most X570 boards, but just won’t actually ECC, and there’s more work to be done with validation and stuff there, but I don’t have any real experience in figuring all that out.

Thank you alkafrazin and Zaf9670 for the feedback. The memory I have for my motherboard right now isn’t on the list either last time I checked.

If I buy the two sets of 2x32 would it be better to both right now (not going to use until a few years but going to test if works) or one now and the other in a few years.

Sorry just came back around. Depending on “how long” you think it will be makes that decision for you. Also there are some oddities with some AMD chips that work better (in some benchmarks) with 4 sticks vs 2 sticks if your board supports it.

This seems counter to the norm. I believe Wendell has a few “AMD RAM” videos as well as LTT and Gamers Nexus, etc.

But if you buy a stick now, there’s a chance it will be unavailable in ~2 years time because of a replacement stick. They may pair fine, you may introduce nightmares. Buying a kit has higher odds of working but in all scenarios just as @alkafrazin said it can be a gamble. I’ve gone without knowing what a QVL is and had great luck. Other times I’ve had “why isn’t this posting” so it can all come down to vendor/support.

ASRock makes a LOT of motherboards so I would think their QVL is pretty generic but also worth trusting. Another thing is find people on PCPartPicker that list that motherboard in their build and see what RAM they chose. May get lucky and they will reply back on their build post of their stability.

At the end of the day 5900 has been out a while. As far as “how much” RAM that’s hard to say. 64GB is definitely a great place to start and two-sticks has less chance of quirks than 4 sticks.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.