Best Settings for my Ryzen 9-3950X on Taichi x570

Hi everyone. New user and although I built my first PC around 1991…It’s been at least 10 years since I built my last one, so for all intents and purposes I’m brand new to the game.

Just replaced an old PC and decided to build it myself, but the BIOS options available today are so different than the ones in my time I might as well admit I don’t know $#!T. One of the L1T Youtube videos said there were some pages in the forums for the settings on Ryzen and the Taichi MB, but can’t find where that is so figured I’d ask. Here’s what I got:

• Ryzen 9-3950x
    -AsRock x570 Taichi
    -NZXT Kraken x73 AIO
    -2x32GB of GSkill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz CL16
    -Aorus RX5700-XT graphics
    -Seasonic 1000W platinum PSU

By default the MB setup the auto-OC and it says it’s overclocking all cores to about 4.3Ghz (HwinFO64 does confirm this), but it also shows that my memory is running at 2666 even though I loaded the XMP profile in the BIOS which shows it to be 3200MHz and does put in the correct timings.

So basically, I’d like to get the best settings I can for every day use of this hardware. I paid enough for it so I might as well use it to its potential.

I’ve read a couple of OC guides, but they talk about settings on other MBs that are not on this AsRock one (FCLK for example – not anywhere on this BIOS).

Any help or feedback you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

on edit: Should have mentioned this before: I know that 4.3GhZ is the “sweet spot” for Ryzen 9 3950x OC, when I run Cinebench R20, none of the core clocks go above 4.0Ghz. Just wanting to make sure I’m understanding the process correctly.

Ok, so, after a few more tests I have some new info:

It appears that this MB doesn’t have a setting for a multiplier for the CPU clock, but rather just a CPU clock speed. After trying various settings, what I found for this particular piece of silicon is that I can do 4.3GHZ @ 1.425 volts (yes a bit too close to AMD’s ‘recommended’ maximum and definitely not somewhere it will be for daily use). Using those settings and leaving the memory at it’s XMP profile (admittedly still reporting as 2,666MHZ in CPU-Z and Hwinfo64) I can consistently get 10,000+ on Cinebench R20 and the CPU temps don’t crack 75C. (actual scores of 10,034 and 10,026 on subsequent runs).

I know there’s much more fine tuning I can do so I would still appreciate any feedback on different settings if you guys have experience with this MB/CPU combo.

If the bios reports the modules running at 3200mhz.
Then it could verywell be a faulty software read out from cpuZ or Hwinfo.
Double check if you run the latest versions of those software.

Your numbers look pretty good to me.
4.3GHz on all cores with a 3950X is kinda what i would expect it be.
So that looks fine so far.
You could use something like aida64 for some mem tests etc.

You could try to do some manual overclocking.
But honestly if you already get those numbers,
then i don’t think that manual overclocking is really going to improve much for ya.

In terms of memory speeds:
Which speed is your infinity fabric currently running at?
If your memory is running at 3200mhz,
then the infinity fabric should run at 1600mhz.

Most Ryzen cpu’s will not run the infinity fabric higher then 1800mhz.
So that is also one of the reasons why it makes no sense,
to buy memory kits with clocks higher then 3600mhz.

Look into that, use auto on everything else (maybe undervolt slightly, depends on what the defaults are), make sure you are on the latest stable BIOS and just use the damn thing. Ryzen 3000 behaves more like a GPU than traditional CPUs, you give it proper cooling and power and it will figure it out on it’s own.

Done. Just downloaded them 2 days ago.

Tried memtest for stability…it was stable. Haven’t done aida64 yet though. More than anything I was looking for the ‘stable limit’ and since I wasn’t looking to compare benchmarks I figured one was as good as the other.

It was on auto, but thinking about what CPUZ was telling me I set it to 1333 (figuring if CPU-Z was telling me 2666 this would be the 1:1 ratio), but that made the scores worse…so I set it manually to 1600 and this made them marginally better (I went to 10098 on CineR20). I thought this might tell me that you might be right and CPU-Z is reporting the wrong clock speed.

Hadn’t thought about that. timings are on XMP, but the voltage is set to 1.350 per the manufacturer. I’ll try to undervolt and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies all.

Just to be clear: undervolt the CPU, not the memory.

Ah, glad you cleared that up…seemed like you were talking about the memory since I had mentioned the memory speed (2,666).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.