hi guys i’m currently building a new rig and ive purchsed the following:-
ASROCK X570 Taichi

GSKILL F4-32DOC14D-32GTZ 32gb 3200mhz
(This came with the mobo as a bundle)
Corsair icue h150i elite lcd

Corsair HX1200i 80 Plus PLATINUM ATX Power Supply 1200W

Crucial BX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

I’m in a bit of quandry as i want to upgrade the ram
so i was wondering if i can sell my existing gskill ram and get corsair equivilent RGB and increase it to 64 or even 128 and if so what ram would you recommend

You probably dont want to go more than 32Gb due to the risk of bitflips and whatnot, you probably want to do some research if AM4 and 4 DDRs play nice and lastly AM4 and DDR4 are both dying platforms so you might want to consider how much you want to invest in it.

1 Like

thanks buddy your advice is appreciated

diizzy’s points on overspending on upgrades for a platform with its successor on market are valid, but for the record it’s quite fine with 4 DDR slots populated, and with 128GB if you need to.

Presumably you do know if you need that much RAM.

If you want to overclock all 4 slots, that is often regarded as at least adding complications just in general.

If you do upgrade I’d mostly only recommend to get either 2 or 4 DIMM from a major brand of your preferred choice, or color, but all of the same type to meet the amount you need for whatever clock you want to afford. (but in terms of if it’s worth the impact, know that it doesn’t kill me, to run with some spare dimms at 2933, to make up the needed quantity).

additional fyi - if you have the earlier gen Taichi x570 the chipset fan can be super annoying, but you can adjust its fan curve in bios.

lastly, bit flips do happen in principle, and not to over analyze this but if you need the RAM you need it regardless, and probably shouldn't over weight it (this being x470 with ECC, very laboriously procured):
% cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       131818748 kB

% uptime
22:35:08 up 29 days,  9:52, 24 users,  load average: 1.27, 1.43, 1.58

% edac-util -v
mc0: 0 Uncorrected Errors with no DIMM info
mc0: 0 Corrected Errors with no DIMM info
mc0: csrow0: 0 Uncorrected Errors
mc0: csrow0: mc#0csrow#0channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow0: mc#0csrow#0channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow1: 0 Uncorrected Errors
mc0: csrow1: mc#0csrow#1channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow1: mc#0csrow#1channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow2: 0 Uncorrected Errors
mc0: csrow2: mc#0csrow#2channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow2: mc#0csrow#2channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: 0 Uncorrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
edac-util: No errors to report.
2 Likes

Tnaks a lot buddy i’ll take on board all your advice quick question how do i know what gen Taichi x570 i have ?

I’m guessing revision is printed on mobo somewhere. On a side note is that not a b-die kit? If it is 2x16GB could try adding a second set of the same type, but that can add headaches when mixing sticks even of the same IC. I stuck with first gen Ryzen for so long I’m biased for B-die.

1 Like

I think that may be a question only asrock could answer - there were at least two revisions of board but they weren’t marketed differently.

But if you don’t find the fan noise annoying, you probably got a later rev and it doesn’t matter. If it is annoying -

1 Like

thanks buddy its say rev.1.05 on the board

you already have 3200 cas 14 which is decent for ddr4 timings wise.
you could go to 3600 cas 16 and match its speed with slightly more bandwidth of 3600MT/s
for about 140bux for 64gig.

the performance difference will be 1-3%, if your lucky in games and productivity, the bump will be about 1-5%.
which isnt much for the 130-180 you will spend on a ram upgrade.
so maybe 80-130 if you manage to sell the 3200 to recoup some costs.

if that small increase in performance is worth it to you. then have at it…
but saying as the rams already bundled and more than good enough.
i wouldn’t bother as the outlay for return in performance would be minimal.

that being said you say you want MOOOOOOOOOOR ram…
so
64 gig 3600 cas 16-18 1.35v is where i would suggest you go.
but if your workload is gonna push 48+gigs then consider upgrading to 128.

128 gig go with x2 64 gig dims if you can as 32 gig dims can be flaky.
especially when 4 dims are used.

64 gig?. go with 4x16 gig dims.
you will get a bandwidth bump and about 10% gaming pump over 2x32 gig in some situations.

oh and if its just gaming, streaming + the odd vm…
then 64 is more than enough.

2 Likes

More ram if you use it would help but personally better timings and speed in combination work best if you are not in need. I have overclocked a lot of ram in my lifetime and learned a lot about it.

I actually doubled my speed on some sticks with very tight timings primary and secondary. My 2133 ddr3 sticks are so good that they match the speed of ddr4 3000ish sticks. They didn’t get to 2933 but they got to over 2500 with unreal timings.

It all depends on what you want to achieve

1 Like

hi guys quick question would GSKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTZRX with the same timings be compatible with my existing RAM (i’m presuming the ‘rx’ prefix is just the addition of RGB)

Looked at both right from the Gaskill website and it seems that one pair is only RGB and the other is not. I cannot see anything else at the moment with secondary timings but looks exactly the same(one with lights one without)

1 Like

its likely the tertiary timings wont be identical.

if they are offering ram as a bundle then just buy another 2 sticks of whats in the bundle.
it should work fine.

if they wont allow you to have more than 1 kit. then shop elsewhere.
(corsair on amazon are currently limiting ram purchases of ddr4 to 1 per customer for some reason)

1 Like