Best raid config option - for my mini-itx 6 drive 1 ultra slim odd / home server / nas

which would be the best raid option config to go with for my mini-itx 6 drive 1 ultra slim odd / home server / nas

i need your thoughts an advice

option 1 two raid5 arrays

option 2 one raid6 array

option 3 two raidz arrays

option 4 one raidz2 array

the intended purpose of the purposed rig being a small-foot print file compress/rip & convert rig

for docs,image,audio, an hd & 4k video

id like to set this build up to do this in this way if possible for file management , video & audio batch compressing/ripping

meaning id like this rig to be connected to my network an have all my files from my laptops an pc’s that are sent to it organized

an sorted an stored either in 1 or 2 raid arrays an either a raid5 or 6 config or a zfs option z or z2 config

preferable id like something like truenas an for the hd & 4k video vi file or direct disc ripping to be done vi handbrake or other app in a docker.

for ref all my pc’s have 2.5gbs Ethernet connects an my switch to so ther shouldn’t be any network bottleneck

an both pc’s main storage drives were the files are transferred from an to are

Samsung 870 Evo 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive’s to

custom case concept for build from protocase

dims - 18.2in long by 11in wide by 3.125in tall

metal type - unfinished Galvanized Steel at 20 gauge

paint-job - will be a custom

How much usable space you need? Id probably do a mirror of 12tb+ drives and call it a day. Rip and compress doesn’t use much bandwidth. And no need to shred SSDs /wear lifetime for rip n compress.

1 Like

You should be aware of:

Ie it may be worth while to go with less reliable drives and buy a spare if the cost is low enough, then run raidz2.

For your SSD, make it both a read and write cache.

do you mean go with regular hdd’s an ssd’s if so what would that config be 2 or 3 ssd an or 2 or 3 hdd for z2

I agree with Wendell. I like mirrors. Easy to administrate, easy to expand and fast. And avoid wierd parity RAID pitfalls and slowness.

Are there irregular HDDs? They’re all the same. Get the ones with lowest $/TB and warranty.

perfectly id go with this layout

as my current load of image,audio, an video an docs - (very important cant lose) is a current combined total of 4.675tb an took about 6years to get ther so if with this raidz2 config if im reading it

right would give me a Practical usable storage capacity of 9.679427 an my current pace of fillage is about a tb about a year or so at a time ( i dont add big vid files that often ) if figure that plenty of breathing room

an the total cost of build with even ssd’s is fine for me

but if going with hdd’s instead of ssd’s or a combo of both would be better sure would this hdd be a good one

Seagate BarraCuda 5 TB 2.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive

No. Barracuda is SMR. Stay away from them.

Seagate Exos or Toshiba MG. Best bang for the buck.

<12TB drives aren’t cost effective. They’re mainly legacy SKUs by now or SMR drives. $/TB is terrible.

whats smr i dont know that ligo

A (failed) recording method of HDDs. Increase the capacity by gimping the write speed. People with ZFS pools report several weeks of resilver time. You always want CMR (conventional magnetic recording) for your server.

1 Like

oh ok , so eventho its more i think ill stick with the ssds

an to wndell’s shred SSDs /wear lifetime for rip n compress ref , i only do the rip n compress when i add a new bd or 4k film or box set an thats rare maybe every other six months as i dont buy new stuff all the time

What is your target disk capacity? What is your target use case?

On my server, the data currently is disposable so I don’t have redundancy or backups, that will not be the case forever. I plan to have a single zfs SSD with 10 minute snapshots, then daily spin up a hdd, and migrate a daily diff to it, then keep the daily diff until I run out of space.

My data / VM ssd is a u.2 intel D7-5600 6.4TB that I picked up last week for $369. It is not the fastest SSD, but it is close, it is 300 times faster than the HDD it is replacing and 10x to 20x the sustained speed of a generic 4TB m.2 ssd.

I have an indépendant 118GB optane to partition and become the proxmox boot drive and virtual memory for all of my VMs, so those transactions will not pollute ZFS. I may later make a 3 drive mirror for my private data. The current total of all of my archival data is less than 6TB, so any single drive on the market will work.

2 years ago I took a stack of 31 hard drives that I had used to migrate and backup over the past couple of decades, and hand deduplicated them. It took about 3 weeks, and in the end I had 3TB of data which I put on an 8TB drive. I then replicated that to 2 additional 8tb drives. I feel that this gives me sufficient redundancy for my archival data. I was then able to wipe (3 passes) those drives so that they were now blank and could no longer haunt me.

I know about arrays, and they are not the only solution to avoid data loss.