Best rack mount case with support for 24 drives

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for some input on a home-lab server case.

Here are the features I’m looking for:

• Rack Mount (Probably 4U)
  • 24 Hot-Swappable 3.5” Drive Bays
  • Backplane with support for SATA (II or III) (Maybe SAS 12G) that adapts to Mini-SAS HD (SFF-8643) connectors
  • ATX Power Supply Support
  • Support for CEB 12 inch x 11 inch Motherboard (Specifically the ASUS PRO WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI, asus-com: /motherboards-components/motherboards/workstation/pro-ws-trx50-sage-wifi/)
  • Available for purchase in and shipping to Canada

I’m looking for any recommendations for cases that fit those requirements. Alternatively, I’m open to exploring options for a case without built-in drive bays, and an external disk shelf.

So far I found this one (amazon-ca: /RROYJJ-Rackmount-Mini-SAS-Interface-Hot-Swappable/dp/B0BS44VYFN) and I’m wondering if it’s any good. I’ve heard of horror stories with some of these cheaper cases where the backplanes kill drives.

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!

SUPERMICRO CSE-846 4U STORAGE 24 BAY SERVER CHASSIS - 2x1200w PSU | eBay?

4u 24 SAS bays and power supplies.

2 Likes

Thanks of much for the response. Just to close the loop on this, I’ve decided to look out for a decent deal on a CSE-846 chassis, seems like the perfect fit for what I want to accomplish :).

2 Likes

I love older supermicro great because there’s so much out there which makes servicing them easier than other proprietary solutions.

It also is the second part of reduce reuse recycle!

And lastly most new cases are so cost optimized that they suck and don’t even come with hot swap power supplies.

They really are a good value.