Best Programming Books

What books have you felt that were realy good for coding, even electronics?

1 Like

What I have been reading

I really liked these two by Jon Duckett

Oh boy, here it comes my big list of awesome books in a totally random order:

I skipped some machine learning books, some AI related ones and human-machine interaction. Plus I skipped some non english books I have and liked.
That's pretty much what you need (minor or plus some things) for a master degree in computer science.

10 Likes

Dietel makes some pretty good books

1 Like

Screenshot and Add on the list xD
@spidernet

Edit ninja 1.0: Can you put on the list and the AI books? (I am very interested in the subject)

cheers for that list when i get to college i will use this list when i find out the code language im learning :D

I'm gonna add some more books then:

For more AI / game AI books head over the MIT AI Programmer's Bookshelf

Also I forgot to add this

EDIT: in both my posts here I listed some books that are cosidered mile stones and a "must know", while in the other hand I listed some really advanced books that only a small percentege of people will read.

2 Likes

Sorry for the double post, but I feel like adding some C++ books, for those who wants to learn this language:
- Thinking in C++ - Bruce Eckel: Introduction book
- C++ Primer Plus - Stephen Prata: Introduction book
- Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example - A. Koenig: one of the best c++ books
- The C++ Programming Language - Bjarne Stroustrup: kneel down please :D
- Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ - Bjarne Stroustrup
- C++ Primer - Stanley B. Lippman: something between an introduction book and a reference manual
- C++ Templates: The Complete Guide - David Vandevoorde
- C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond - David Abrahams and Aleksey Gurtovoy
- Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied - Andrei Alexandrescu
- Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
- More Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
- Exceptional C++ - Herb Sutter
- More Exceptional C++ - Herb Sutter

Operating System related books all by Andrew S. Tanenbaum

I will also point out that I did not read all these books that I posted (I'm not that old xD) but these are the most reccomended by university professors and professionals and most well written.

5 Likes

@spidernet
Pff i have at least 20 book waiting me to read them (without this lists.) xD so much books so little time xD

Edit ninja 2.0: I dont know anything about C++ from where do i start with this books?

I know that feeling :D

For a beginner in C++ I'll probably reccomend you either Accelerated C++ or C++ Primer Plus, once you know C++ well enough it's useful to have a reference manual such as The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) in case you need to look up something you forgot or you don't remember well; without reading the "starting" book again.
If you want something in between of a "beginner" book and a reference manual go for C++ Primer.

Take it easy with all these books, don't buy all of them :D Start with one and go from there.

Came across a lot of Herb Sutter's articles on Dr.Dobbs. I highly recommend him and will check out those books you listed.

I think we all know that feeling!

Some of my sources have been:

http://techover.me/github-500-free-programming-books/

Also, do a search for something like "programmers mega book pack" (maybe you should use startpage (not google) to search, if you get my drift).

Yep I've been using that github repo for a while, it's great.
Never heard of startpage, neat!

Startpage is just the search engine. it uses google as a backend, but is sercure in that it doesn't record your searches (wink wink, if you get where I am coming from).

I am saying you should not use google to search for "programmers mega ...", use a safer search engine instead.

I'm being overly cautious with the start page recommendation, while also trying to not point out the obvious (trying not to break Tek.S rules at the same time). Search for it and you will know what I mean in 2 seconds.

What's the difference between startpage and duck duck go? I assume they all do the same thing, which is not tracking searches

1 Like

There are many good books, though off the top of my head the only two I thought were genious

The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie, and
The D Programming Language by Andrei Alexandrescu.

What makes them so awesome are the examples. They are short (so they fit in a book), but insightful. They show neat ways of doing relevant things. To this day I enjoy looking taking the books out and revel in the intelligence and simplicity of the examples.

I hope some day to find a book on algorithms that is equally insightful and equally intelligently written.

I am interested to know if there are any good Asembly language books out there?

For x86 architecture there's the old Art of Assembly by Randall Hyde (not the new one on HLA), also iczelion made some nice tutorials on Win32 development back in the day. Other than that the best books are going to be the intel cpu manuals. PS. Woodmanns old tutorials were pretty good too.

Also other fun sources are osdev.org and osdever.net

for z80 architecture, there is a brilliant book "TI83+ assembly in 28 days".