Best NIC teaming setup between pc and nas (2x 2.5gbe)?

Hello,
I have a asustor As5304

I also just got z590 aoris master with a 10gbe nic (aquantia)

So the problem is this… how do I link aggrogate my nas to my pc?
Would it be best to get a 10gbe switch?
I plan on installing this mobo into a super slim ATX case So I suspect I won’t have room for a aic like this :StarTech.com Dual-Port 10Gb PCIe Network Card with 10GBASE-T & NBASE-T - Newegg.com

The case I was looking at has 3 slots, and my hope was to throw a maple ridge thunder bolt AIC into the third slot. (by modding the case if needed)

There is one other option…

The issue is I plan on upgrading to 10gbe in the future, so I would need to buy a 10gbe aic, or use a tb to 10gbe dongle.

tl;dr… are there any USB solutions for teaming to 5gb/s, or if i get a 5gb/s or 10gb/s switch, would the 2.5 gbs nics being teamed to the switch allow the full 5gb/s flow to my aquantia nic?

Also… any problems with that 10gbe auquantia nic? Would it be better to return this board and get that b550 proart with the 2 intel 2.5gbe nics?

Any input is appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Link Aggregation does not provide the total aggregate bandwidth for a single connection/session. A single session will traverse only one of the links in the group. So Link Aggregation is beneficial with multiple systems communicating with the NAS simultaneously, but not for a direct connection between two systems.

You would be better off with a single 10Gbe connection between your PC and the NAS.

3 Likes

If I link aggregate the nas into say… A 8port 10gbe switch, can I get more that 2.5g bandwidth through ti my desktop then? Or would the 2 to 1 nics cause issues? Or perhaps would I need a router box with 10gbe to see the full benefit?

Again, a single network session would only use a single path, i.e. a single NIC. Link aggregation is for increasing the available total bandwidth for multiple simultaneous sessions. A single session, e.g. a single file copy from the NAS to your PC, will be limited to the lowest bandwidth connection along the path.

2 Likes