Best Linux music player according to you

Foobar and VLC. Mostly VLC, in any OS.

Banshee suits me just fine.

cmus definitely can play playlist and save your current playlist to disk in *.pls format.
It also would be my first recommendation in this thread.

I also like Clementine.

if by sorting files, you mean does it have panes for album, artist, genre etc like Foobar, then no. it's a giant playlist. you can add a custom tab and set it to sort by %g, that way you can at least select Genres and have them as separate playlists.

I just use MOC, switched to MPD for a while but i always end up back with MOC. Probably just because i have some scripts written for it already.

this is sort of my main bugbear about Linux. it just shows how functionality /=/ comfort. yes, like Logan said, Foobar DOES RUN under Wine. it runs. can you use the skins from dA? no. do the hotkeys work globally? not when i tried. please bear in mind i was using Unity at the time, so this may not be a problem on your DM. this brings me to a PSA. if you are on Ubuntu Unity, any sort of hotkey that calls up and dismisses the media player window likely will not work. i got Clementine to do this with about 70% reliability, however i have had zero issues with it on Mint Cinnamon. it's probably due to the way that Unity handles the taskbar. that's one of the things i need to have in a media player. i want to be able to call the window up when i want to switch tracks, and send it away again. i also like to change tracks without accessing the media player. Deadbeef does these without issue, so it gets my vote. you CAN do these with Clementine, but it requires assigning the key combos in the system settings like so.

Possible work-around. In KDE, go to System Settings -> Shortcuts and Gestures -> Custom Shortcuts.

In the Custom Shortcuts panel, create a new group for music. Create a new shortcut by right clicking on your new group and choosing New -> Global Shortcut -> Command/URL. In the Trigger tab, enter your key binding for play/pause. In the Actoin tab, type "clementine -t". And so on.

"clementine -t" for pause/play.
"clementine -s" for stop.
"clementine -f" for next.
"clementine -r" for previous.

Also, if you want to try out Ncmpcpp, i would highly suggest trying out Mopidy. it has a MPD daemon built in, so you can avoid the horrible faffing about trying to install MPD on its own. Tons of "skins" for ncmpccp here.

potentially a bit more verbose then the thread warranted, but finding new info is pretty cool.

Can''t you add the skins on the win virtual diks files so that foobar can use it?

Yes, I think that is possible.

i haven't tried again in a while, but i remember some error to do with dll's. i'm drawing a blank at the moment, but what's that runtine thing you run into a lot on Windows? something to do with C++ i think.

If you use foobar on a virtual machine with windows it works fine, you can add skin and do everything like you do normally on windows.

I've been using Foobar with Wine and that's been working pretty well.

.net you mean or Visual C++?

I second mpd + ncmpcpp.

1 Like

Linux already has Audacious and QMMP if you want the winamp look

Foobar is still my preferred choice. On windows it was for best sound quality. Now on linux all players sound great, but I use some specific tools almost every day. Replaygain scannng just don't work as well in any alternative package I have seen so far. In Foobar I can do the scan, edit tags and check it has an APE tag to play perfect in IDJC (the best audio streaming app on any platform)

No, it is not about the look. It is about the AVS society. I am finding some stuff on the fringe, tho. http://acko.net/ http://visbot.net/

They don't need an update to their GUI. Going on two years with the same scheme is great if it works. I prefer under the hood improvements.

That said, I've used a lot of music players and my favorite is probably Banshee.

Have a look at FooNix - foobar for linux (sorta - kinda)

I strongly disagree.

For a program to be truly good, you really have to have the looks and the goods.

I do like banshee, but the layout and how the program resizes needs some attention.

I would also like to see them move to GTK3 and make the program look more at home with gnome 3 and other gtk3 DEs.

They just really need to bring the program up to date.

@pyroserpent,
Personal i use Clementine, it's very powerful.

vlc. swiss army knife>specialty knife