Best Linux for a Windows/Android user?

What's the best Linux for a Windows/Android user?

(Update) I went with "Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop", so far so good.
Thanks guys and gals!

1 Like

Usability and ease of use I still think ubuntu is the goto

1 Like

Got anything else. I used ubuntu before and didn't like how uncustomizable it was.

1 Like

Linux Mint is a solid goto for new users for a reason.

If you want a more customization experience, you can try KDE Neon. It has the latest Plasma 5 software, with a Ubuntu base. If you want customization, KDE is the epitome of customization.

2 Likes

After being on Linux 24/7 for 2 years and using Windows since the early 90's I would say that you need to find a 'Desktop' you like. All the other stuff is a formality afterwards. Most Windows converts probably want something with a start menu and on the bottom left corner and clock / task menu bottom right corner. With that in mind go for something with a 'Cinnamon' ' KDE' 'LXDE' desktop environment.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/cinnamon/

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/

@TeckMonster

5 Likes

remix OS

It's basically desktop android

1 Like

I love Remix OS, but I have two monitors, so that doesn't work for me. Hopefully soon, I've been keeping my eye on it.

I'd try Fedora 25 with KDE.

3 Likes

Use Xubuntu. Or ubuntu Mate. Get 17.04 over a torrent so you have the newest kernels and drivers. Learn how the DE works and if you wanna move up after you're comfy learn some terminal shit.

If you don't like the interface get something like Netrunner. Then you'll be good.

Alright. I did some research on the suggested OSs, and have decided to go with "Fedora KDE Plasma", but please keep the suggestions coming, as I'm always looking to try new.

Thanks guys, and gals!

1 Like

Is worth checking what support is available with a Linux distribution when deciding what will work best for you.
Big mainstream distributions like Fedora will have plenty of reference material if you want to do your own research. Smaller projects may lack documentation, but have a good community that can answer questions and troubleshoot on forum or irc chat to get you quick solutions.

That's what I thought too and tried first (I tried Kubuntu back in 2008 for the last time...), but I couldn't really get used to it... The problem with Mint (though to be fair, quite a few other distros/DEs too), is that it is customizable in theory, but last time I used it the extension installation (Spices or what they call it?) was horrible at best. It's a plain website (ok fine whatever), but which had no filter option. Then going through the list half of them were outdated and barely usable with the current versions of software. Often you find this info in the description, but sometimes not.

If you're wanting to use Mint like Windows (that is, no "real" customization), it's probably fine but if you just want to customize a tiny bit (even colors..) it starts to get messy. Had better luck with Kubuntu in that regard. I don't know about KDE Neon which you mentioned, but since it's also Plasma it should be similar.

Additionally to that I find (but that's an issue with any Distro) is that the UI is sometimes inconsistent. Some Applications look completely different and have a different "feel" to it. But I know this isn't necessarily an issue with a specific Distro, but rather the different UI-Toolkits being used.

It's customizable in the way that GNOME is. You can change the themes, icons etc. Actually Cinnamon goes one step further than GNOME. You can change the color of the Cinnamon bar on the bottom, independently from the window manager theme.

Besides, it's customizable enough for a newbie user. People who lean towards Arch will not find it customizable.

GNOME3 is similar to Android, in that the program launcher presents the user with a wall of icons, from which to choose.

Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE are rather similar to W7.

Budgie is somewhat similar to W10, in that it also has a notification panel, which slides in from the RHS of the screen.

Everyone pretty much universally says that KDE is windows-like, except for me. I don't see the similarity, beyond the location of the "Start" button.

What many new users don't realize is that you can have several different desktop environments (DEs) installed and you can choose the one that you wish to use when you log onto the system. For instance, I have an older laptop that I am trying to revive, so I am looking for a DE that has low resource requirements. I loaded Mint/Cinnamon onto it to verify functionality. Then I installed the Mate, XFCE and LXQT desktops. Each time I log in I can select a different desktop and perform an apples to apples comparison of the responsiveness and resource requirements of each DE. I can easily uninstall any DE that doesn't make the grade and I can just as easily install additional DEs for further testing.

The various differences between the different Linux distributions come primarily from the desktop environment. Therefore, the best Linux is Linux.

3 Likes

Don't forget the old-school
For those that liked XP or earlier - LXDE or XFCE

1 Like

Yeah, I mentioned XFCE, along with Cinnamon and Mate. It is a longstanding favorite for folks who have older hardware, or want a particularly snappy experience on newer hardware.

Anyone who has ever admired the Knoppix distribution will have used LXDE, even though they may have been unaware of that fact. It is a capable, low-resource, workman-like DE, with few frills. It appears that, unless forked, however, LXDE has been sentenced to death. This project is moving away from GTK, to QT (as is Budgie). I am no expert in the taxonomy, but I am under the impression that both the LXDE and Razor -qt projects are merging and the resulting product is LXDE -QT, AKA LXQT, which I also briefly mentioned as being a DE that I am currently testing.

LXQT currently has a traditional Windows-like interface, but I do not follow the project closely enough to know what plans the devs hay have for it in the future, nor have I ever followed Razor -qt. There are literally dozens of DEs available to Linux and BSD users, hence the perception that there are many different kinds of Linux. The reality is that the same Linux kernel and GNU utilities are the same foundation upon which all of this variety flourishes.

If you are unfamiliar with KDE Plasma5, BigDaddy (YouTube) has a multipart series to walk you through. It is quite comprehensive. I think he is using KDE Neon (Ubuntu) but the desktop will be the same across most every distro. Cheers and I hope you enjoy KDE

1 Like

I would suggest something with KDE. It is out of the box most familiar for a Windows user. That said almost any DE can be made to look like Windows.

Anyhow KDE, it has KDE connect, it's an amazing tool that linking your android phone to your desktop. The PC and the phone are aware of each other. Notifications appear on your desktop. Music gets paused when your phone rings, that type of stuff.

As for the distro under KDE that's is a bit of a loaded question. That like asking Star Wars Vs Star Trek or AMD vs Intel. Except there are loads of choices and most everyone will have a good argument for their favourite distro.

So in that vein here is my favourite distro and it runs KDE by default. PCLinuxOS is an independent distro not derived from any other. There is no parent distro calling the shots pulling it in a direction it dose not want to go. (Ubuntu moving to systemd from upstart because Debian) It is a rolling release so no periodic reinstalls like Ubuntu or many other distros. Your software is always up to date not static until the next release. However, it is built for stability so unlike some other rolling releases things get tested before they get pushed out to the users.

You end up with a system you install once. It is both stable and up to date, something many distros struggle with. It has a super friendly support forum. The distro is small enough that the lead developer will answer your questions but has enough people working on the project to keep it going if desaster strikes. It has been going for over ten years and has a solid user base. It has a 9.2 rating, the highest user rating on Distrowatch.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos

This is my desktop http://imgur.com/S1N2Bcu

1 Like

I wanted to ask the same question as the OP, but after reading through this I am even more confused.
Is there no consensus on which version is easiest for an advanced Windows user?

Best Linux for android users is probably:

Why try something new if you can also just stay in the same place you already know :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like