Best Linux distro for a beginner coming from Windows?

So many choices is making me confused. I would like a distro that’s:

-familiar to Windows users,
-good for gaming,
-rolling release,
-has a big community,
-don’t have to use CLI
-customizable,

I know there isn’t a perfect distro that has it all but which distros offer most of the above?

1 Like

I’m not sure if that would be the best way to go for a beginner.
But its kinda depending on your hardware aswell.
Rolling releases generally work better with newer hardware,
because they generally come with the newest kernels and stuff.
So yeah if you are looking for the best Rolling release Linux distribution for beginners,
then Manjaro is probably one of the better choices.
Because Manjaro is pretty userfriendly from the get go.
The only downside of Manjaro which is Arch based, and rolling releases in general,
are the chances of breaking wenn an update comes trough.
But thats a general risk of running on bleeding edge rolling releases in general.

1 Like

Nothing will check all the boxes.

The closet one will be Solus, since it works great OOTB for most things, including gaming and you don’t have to touch the CLI really at all.

However, it is curated and not as customization as say Manjaro. However, the later is based on arch which is much more intimidating to new users who make the transition directly from Windows.

It all else fails, try Ubuntu with ukuu.

2 Likes

Yep Solus might also be a good choice indeed.
its fully independent, and with the Mate desktop is pretty customisable,
And doesnt feel that different from Windows wenn you switch to Redmond panel mode.
Not sure how well it works with gaming, and if all the tools necessary for gaming are available.
But if so, then it could be a good choise.

Arch based distributions generally tempt to break faster.
And installing software packages from the AUR is also risky aswell.

1 click install.

1 Like

There all narrowing and with modern cards and things like AMD open source drivers.

Ubuntu or Fedora will not be bad. Google comes up with so much shit now. Unless you filter to the last year you can get wrong info.

If your Nvidia get a stable distro that supports the latest drivers.
If your AMD and want the open source drivers. Fedora is nice it keeps the machine stable and the kernel close to current. AMDGPU is built into the kernel.So install and run games

And Welcome :slight_smile:

I would suggest Ubuntu

Its what I went with, as its the only distro (aside from steamOS) officially supported by steam (but TBH thats pretty irrelevant) and chances are if you need a ‘how do I…’ there will be something on the interwebz - not so much for other distros

Not so sure if rolling release is the best starting point for a newbie - I constantly broke stuff with updates and didnt/still dont have the skill set to repair stuff so ended up reinstalling heaps

thats my personal 2 cents.

Cant really go wrong though - Ive also used Fedora, Manjaro, ElementaryOS, Korora, openSUSE and Kali

You have got to be joking…I’ve left it alone cause Ikey and Jupiter broadcasting chats.

The dude was a one man distro…Quit his job…Went full time… Broke and moved continents… got sick and data silent.

If I was to recommend a Modern linux desktop. You know wayland, AMD GPU or current Nvidia property drivers and support. Solus is not on that list.

2019 will be RTX vs navi. What linux distro will be steam play gaming ?

Cut gaming out and Modern AMD integrated Vega GPU’s etc. Even Intel have open source drivers in the kernel now.

Curse someone to 2014 etc ?

Most distros will be equally customizable and good for gaming, I recommend OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. It is rolling release, and quite stable despite that. OpenSUSE also has a special control panel called YAST which allows you to do many tasks without CLI. If you want screenshots of anything, I can provide.

Ah i wasnt aware of that.
I have not used Solus for a while, i looked into about a year ago or so.
But it was not my cup of tea personally.
I currently run Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1 but also comes with its headaches honestly.
But yeah in the end every distribution will have its pro’s and con’s.

1 Like

Its a sad tale but open source and talent is full of cant pay the bills.

Re: @Marten
CC: @MisteryAngel

Incorrect.

Ikey knew he couldn’t really continue on the project during the move, so he handed (most) of the keys to the kingdom over to the other devs.

It’s been back in full-force since. Totally fine to use. That said, there are some quirks, like with the Patreon, but not much else has changed regarding its stability-- stable as ever.

1 Like

Tie a bow too it… I watched it unfold over this year.

Rewrite it if you like.

I hope Ikey is well and the domain etc and patreon etc all work out.

Best linux distro. I say Ubuntu or Fedora.

Specifically,

Joshua: It was also around this time where, unbeknownst to me, I was contacted by various individuals for comment on an upcoming podcast. With a lack of concrete information about Ikey, an understanding of his personal situation, as well as being preoccupied with ensuring a seamless upgrade experience for our users, we simply did not have the full opportunity to comment until after the podcast took place. As a result of our (unintended) lack of response prior to the podcast, several individuals grossly mis-characterized the situation both for the project and Ikey, which lead to a more official response from me on Reddit about the situation at that time, with respect for Ikey’s privacy. Looking back, it is easy to see why people were frustrated by our lack of a definitive response. However, we believed (and still believe) that the best course of action was not to respond until either receiving more information about the situation or until such a time as we could no longer justify waiting.

So please, don’t jump to conclusions next time you hear it from strangers podcast.

Further reading:

Windows will poor tons of Beginner coming from Windows to us.

I as one but earlier welcome them and the distro with balls. Is in 2019 ?

-feel free to send newbies on distros.

I wish someone just called it when I came. In 2014 it was Ubuntu.

OP, I think enough information has been provided for you to chew upon.

I am locking preemptively to avoid the distro-holy war these things tend to become.

3 Likes