Solus Maintainers Ask to Cancel Patreon

Please note, at the time of this writing, Solus itself is not going away. I won’t call out any names but some of you are prone to melodrama. Solus is not going away. Their Patreon is, for the following reasons:

Emphasis mine.

I, for one, am devastated. My organization had recently begun supporting Solus through Patreon and I was determined to be an evangelist of the project. While that’s still possible, this sort of hiccup will no doubt be taken out of context and dragged through the mud by the vocal minority, making staunch support more difficult.

I hope Ikey is okay and returns to the project. But, as I read the above, I am fully confident that the current team is capable of implementing Ikey’s vision in maintaining and developing the project.

11 Likes

I agree.

I know this was not really a helpful contribution to this topic but I find myself mostly posting when I disagree with something. Just trying to avoid selection bias. :wink:

Is there any information out there what exactly the reason for the problem with the Patreon account is? There are many people out there who use the platform successfully (although mostly video creators and individual artist)

1 Like

They loosely implied but didn’t explicitly state that Ikey is the only person with access to this account, since it paid his salary and paid for his equipment, and he has been out of contact since September.

I suspected right then…
A bit of an oversight on part of the Solus team, but they essentially admitted as much. It is somewhat understandable that Patreon can’t just hand over an account but it is strange that Solus (allegedly) can’t get much of a reply from Patreon support.

I hope this gets resolved soon.

1 Like

Two days

After reading the article, I feel more optimistic.

3 Likes

Not sure if it is related, but I follow this youtuber from time to time and she has some communications and lockout problems with Patreon too. (video just for reference, it does not contain a lot of info)

2 Likes

Same here. I’m a Solus user for the past two years and it’s past time that the team discuss the elephant sitting in the corner of the room. I harbor no ill will towards Ikey and the remaining team members have shown tremendous resourcefulness, responsibility and determination. They will be good stewards for the vision and the project.

1 Like

I obviously don’t know how Patreon handles things but usually in support systems your request may just be closed without further comment if you hammer them with the same request over and over. Obviously don’t know what happened here, but it might be what’s going on.
As you said, Patreon can’t just hand over the account for any reason so there’s not really a lot they can do anyway, and there is really no point in telling the rest of the team that over and over.

But anyway, hope this gets sorted out. Some people here seem to be quite the fans of Solus.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a bummer. I wonder what happened to Ikey…

Getting close to a year on Solus myself.

2 Likes

Just from a cursory look on the /r/solusproject subredit, and other sources, Ikey is moving to England, and currently cannot afford internet during the transfer. So he’s effectively MIA while he does this. Last I read this was tackled about a month ago I think.

1 Like

I think there is a lot more going on with Ikey than moving home. I’m not going to speculate.

I suggest anyone interested listens to the core teams recent update:

EDIT: The link above is exactly the same one as the OP posted. If you listen to that it explains everything the core team knows and their future plans. It’s given me confidence to install Solus again.

I think the podcast they mention was linux unplugged a couple of them were talking about it and just didnt know what was happening with him.
Really strange though I thought Ikey would become a greybeard.

Okay… But you can get on the internet many ways if even only for a minute with a smartphone to just sort basic issues.

Indeed, clearly there’s something amiss with Ikey. Whatever it is he’s either not been able, or wanted to share the details. I thought something was up when he quit Late Night Linux, became less visible online and his commits to github slowed down and then stopped.

To me it just looked like another one man distro was about to bite the dust, so I am pleased that the core team have managed to take control. Whatever Ikey is doing I hope he is well and taking care of himself.

2 Likes

I had 2 longstanding tickets with them addressed in the past couple of weeks, so there’s definitely some productive activity going on.

1 Like

1 Like

I just really hope Ikey isn’t mortally sick :sob:

3 Likes

Same. When I heard he had the flu before he went AFK I was really concerned. But surely they wouldn’t have pulled an Apple & Steve Jobs for the sake of the community involvement?

My understanding is there are a ton of Internet Cafe’s in England, so, while I remained highly optimistic during his absence, it didn’t make a lot of sense, using that excuse…

Sorry, run on sentence of peace. But I couldn’t think of a better way to express my confusion than to confuse others with my confusion.

1 Like

He’s not, he’s backpacking in germany and swisslandia