Best fantasy books and why?

I really love the Legend Of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore.

• Raymond Feist - Midkemia Series
  • Alan Dean Foster - Spellsinger series
  • Ursula LeGuin - Earthsea
  • Ed Greenwood - Elminster Series
  • Tad Williams - Otherland
  • Orson Scott Card - Ender's Saga
  • Anthony Piers - Incarnations of Immortality
  • Anthony Piers - Phaze series
  • Anthony Piers - Bio of a Space Tyrant

Just to name a few... dozen...

Because they fall near the top of my favorite thousand books.

The Child Thief by Brom.

Why? Because it's a twisted tale of Peter Pan enslaving children into war. 

Try the Night Angel Trilogy Brent Weeks, Demon Cycle Peter V. Brett, Lightbringer Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson Mistborn Trilogy, and The Wheel of Time series.

All of these are great reads all very good if not the best fantasy books Ive ever read. 

If you are looking for Fantasy, I suggest the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski.

So far I've read 2 books, "The Last Wish" and "Blood of Elves".

I might be biased since I loved the games, and I love the books more. But I would recommend them.

The 3rd one should be finish translated by now "Time of Contempt" really looking forwarding to reading it.

Anyway, the book is about a Witcher, who is on a journey doing what Witchers do, killing monsters for money. But gets tangled up in much bigger plots, which he finds greatly annoying.

I bet you've read the LoTR trilogy and possibly The Hobbit but if you're interested in the "LoTR Universe" and like Tolkien's style you'll love some of his lesser read works like The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin. You'll especially like The Silmarillion if you're interested in the LoTR creation story.

The Night Angel Trilogy, Incarceron, anything by C.S. Lewis... (Just a few of my favorites... that haven't been mentioned yet I don't think)

dragonlance

NOTHING beats Malazan Book of the Fallen in terms of "epicness."

NOTHING.

I second that motion.

Hah 3rd time I see you recommend this book, there is probably more I havent seen yet. This book is more sci-fi than fantasy but it is amazing, new and fresh, increadibly written. I know there is sort of a sequel for it do you know which book it is?

The first book in the Elminster Series is good then every book after gets worse and worse.

Otherland series is the worst cryber punk books I have ever read I dont know how I got through all 4 of them. Tad William's Dragon Bone series is much better and its actually fantasy not sci-fi.

If you like Terry Pratchet you will like Anthony Piers.

I know what your talking about I had that feeling too, but that tourture was necessary for further plot development. I recommend you keep reading the books. Although I must warn you there will be more torture it wont be as bad as the first book and it serves the plot. I like that dark and gritty and very real aspect of medieval life that most authors seem to skip. Like what happens to the people of a castle that gets sacked. The men get put to the sword an the women become prizes of the soldiers.

This is next on my list. How are the characters? I prefer grey characters... I'm also not into high fantasy. Is the magic over-the-top or more subtle like A Song of Ice and Fire?

I wouldnt trust the opinion of anyone who doesnt like A Song of Ice and Fire. Althought the Brandon Sanderson recommendation is solid. I have read most of his books and they are all excellent.

I would have to say Percy jackson series and the other ones by Rick riordan, Also Manga would be fairy tail, And cirque du freak is a amazing book series.

I would definitely second Raymond E. Feist; The Riftwar Cycle is fantastic. If anything, the original Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon are worth a read, but the rest of the books are awesome as well.

Lots of good recommendations here, accept Lord of the Rings Books. I know Tolkien was the grand-daddy of High Fantasy and his LoTR series was pretty much the first Epic/High fantasy series ever but compared to modern writers his stuff is slow and boring with mainly 2D characters and very simple plots. I think all the best series have been covered in this thread but I will make a master list here and hopefully add some series that people havent mentioned yet.

This list consists of fantasy series only. For my sci-fi recommendations check the sci-fi thread in the forums here. These are in no particular order. I only recommend the series I really like and leave out stuff like The Lord of the Isles Series by David Drake and others series which are not necessarily bad, but just did not meet my high ubernerd standards. I will make an honorable mention section for those books.

The Wheel of Time Series(WoT) by Robert Jordan - It was hard for me to get into this series, Jordans style is a bit winded and he over describes things and is prone to needlessly over stretching the plots and subplots. With that being said if you can make it through the 5th book you will be hooked. The series gets even better when Sanderson takes over as the writer.

The Sword of Truth Series(SoT) by Terry Goodkind - Good solid high fantasy series, very unpredictable. It is dark and gritty, Goodkind puts his characters through some really tough trials to say the least. Goodkind might get preachy(not in the religious sense) at times but I for one enjoy and even agree with some of his righteous tirades. Got hooked after the first book. Also stay away from the TV series.

A Song of Ice and Fire Series(aSoIaF) by George R.R. Martin - I believe this series needs no introduction. Full of intricate plot lines and unforeseeable twists this series will suck you in and wont let go. GRRM’s main strength is his ability to create believable 3D characters that you cant help but love or hate. I recommend to read the books before watching the series, you get a bigger more complex world with a much more rounded story. They are also starting to change a lot of things in the 3rd season of the Game of Thrones show.

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series by Steven Erikson - Another giant epic high fantasy series (the way I like them) that is dark and brooding. This story about empires, gods, ancient races,  different dimensions, and realms spans continents and the storyline even goes back millions of years when the gods themselves were just babes. There simply is no series more EPIC than Malazan Book of the Fallen. Also check out Ian C Esslemont who also writes books set in the Malazan universe that help fill in and expand on the already giant and sprawling epic world of the Malazan Empire.

Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium, Tamuli by David Eddings - All four are pretty much one series each spans a different generation in the same world. This is a solid series in the old school style of fantasy that is more PG-13 but non the less addicting.

Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist - An exciting high fantasy series. Start with the Magician books and move on from there to The World On the Other Side aka The Empire Trilogy by Janny Wurts, before starting the 3rd book Silverthorn.

Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb - These are technically one series, Tawny Man Picks up where Farseer leaves off. Follow Fitz Chivalry, an abandoned bastard son of a king that is trained in the skills of a spy and assassin, as he tries to find himself and his place in the world. Good storyline, political intrigues and a dash of magic make these books very addicting.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - This series is urban fantasy that takes place in modern day Chicago. These books are a fun fast paced read and they get better and better as the series progresses.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher - This a more standard high fantasy novel that takes place in a Rome like empire. In a realm where most inhabitants can control magical spirits called furies. The series protagonist is one of the rare exceptions with no magical powers. Follow Tavi the constant underdog as he has to use his skills and wits to overcome enemies and achieve his goals.

Runelord Series by David Farland - This high fantasy series has a very original system of magic that makes for a very interesting plot device that drives this story. Very addicting.

Chronicles of Prydain by Alexander Lloyd - This is an old school sword and sorcery adventure fantasy about a young pigkeeper that finds himself embroiled in events that are way out of his league. A light fun and very enjoyable read.

Nightside Series by Simon Green - Nightside is one of the most imaginative series I have read in a while. This series is a mix of science fiction and fantasy, I would describe the genre as urban science/fantasy. The series has a great noir detective style, which I really enjoyed. Personally I think the series leans a lot more towards fantasy than sci-fi, you be the judge.

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson - An excellent series that has a very original system of magic. Every book I read from Sanderson is very hard to put down and Mistborn is arguably his best original series to date. I am still sad that it was only a trilogy and I wish that the story went on further. Look out for his new Stormlight Archive Series it only has two books so far, so this will be the only mention of that series in my list.

Legend of Drizzt Series by  R. A. Salvatore - If your a D&D fan you have probably heard of the Badass Drow Elf Drizzt Do’Urden. This series chronicles Drizzt’s aventures since his childhood growing up in Menzoberranzan the subterranean city of the feared Drow Elves. This series is action packed and Salvatore excels at writing complex action sequences.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan - This series is an urban epic fantasy adventure about a kid. Percy Jackson, who discovers that the greek gods are not only real but that he himself is a Demigod and the half breed son of poseidon himself. Now he must battle for his life against supernatural creatures and gods straight out of greek legend and unravel plots and schemes put into motion by the gods themselves.

Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rolling -  Needs no introduction, however it does need a better name for the series itself. Harry Potter sound like an armenian gardner to me. This series has a surprisingly intricate plotlines for books that were originally meant for 9-12 year olds.

The Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner - This series is definitely overlooked by the fantasy community at large. I am pretty sure that whoever is reading this right now has never heard of the author or the books. Court intrigue and plots twists are the strength of these books. Misdirection and manipulation are abound as you follow the unlikely heros of this series.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks - This is a sword and sorcery series, which begins when events force a powerful sorcerer assassin to take in and train an orphan named Azo. From begging on the streets to being a player in the struggle for power between nations, Azo must come to terms with being a killer for higher and make decisions that could topple nations. Fast paced action packed fantasy trilogy about assassins with magic powers known as “wet boys” will keep you reading deep into the night. Keep a lookout for Brent Week’s new series called Lightbringer only two books out so far, I like to wait until more books are out in a series before I start it. Judging by the quality of the Night Angel Trilogy I am definitely looking forward to reading his new Lightbringer series as well.

Memory, Sorrow, Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams - Also known as the Dragonbone Chair series is a fantasy adventure series about a young kitchen boy and magician's apprentice who finds himself facing immortal enemies and dark powers. The books have a somewhat brooding melancholy mood which underlines the ancient hatreds and a land under siege by evil sorcery.

The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny - Also known as the Big Book of Amber this series is an urban/high fantasy classic about the power struggle between the forces order and the forces of chaos. Plenty of intrigue and plot twists in this action packed series where nothing is as it seems.

Demon Cycle Series by Peter V Brett - This is a more dark and gritty fantasy series where people live in constant fear of being attacked by demons that feast on human flesh. The protagonists must defend the human world from these constant nightly demon attacks by  employing magical wards that seem to be the only effective means to combat these demons.

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - This dark and brooding high fantasy series is written extremely well. This story about a wild and savage orphan struggling to survive in a crime filled city and growing up to be the most infamous wizard the world has ever known is extremely addicting and immersive as its told from the point of view of the main character.

The Black Company Series  by Glen Cook - This high fantasy series is considered by many to be the first fantasy series to break the mold of the typical no main character dies and everyone lives happily ever after mold of fantasy. The Black Company is one of the dark and gritty series that paved the way for such writers as George RR Martin and Steven Erikson who said that The Black Company inspired him to write his own Tales of the Malazan Empire series. I would also recommend Glen Cook’s Dread Empire Series.

Heritage of Shannara Series by Terry Brooks - Yet another high fantasy adventure series about a family whose bloodline is the last in the lands to retain magical powers. It is up to the Shannara family to protect the land from ancient evils. Each book is about a new generation of the family that must use their powers to defend the land against supernatural enemies. To tell the truth I wasnt sure if I wanted to put this series in my highly recommended section. The reason being is that the series starts out strong and interesting, however later down the road it becomes kind of repetitive.

The Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch - Another dark and gritty fantasy novel filled with court intrigues, conspiracies and misdirection. Follow the exploits of a thieves guild known as the Gentleman Bastards as they try to survive, thrive and avoid the dungeons of the city of Camorr. Very well written plot and counterplot storyline.

First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie - Dark and gritty sword and sorcery fantasy where kingdoms battle for supremacy in the north. Politics, battle tactics, ancient weapons or clever plans, which one will come out on top in the end?

The honorable mention section. These books are still good just not as good as the previously mentioned series. I am sure many will disagree with me on that point.

Dragonriders of Pern Sereis by Ann McCaffrey - A classic.

Earthsea Series by Ursula K Le Guin - Another classic.

Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett - If you like british humor you will like these books.

Age of Fire by E.E. Knight - Its like an animal themed book (like White Fang) but with dragons as main characters.

Vampire Chronicles by Ann Rice - Lets just say there is lots of sucking happening within these pages.

Anything by Robert E. Howard - I recommend Solomon Kane or Conan.

To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust - Angels, Demons and Creation.

Legend by David Gammell - I got nothing.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - A shadow walks.

Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen R Donaldson - Leprosy anyone?

The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman - Its actually sci-fi but functionally its fantasy.

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - Most of his stuff is good, although I find him a bit to flowery for my taste sometimes.

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman - Approved.

I know I am forgetting some titles but its late and my brain is shutting down. I am pretty sure I covered all the major fantasy series. Anyway this list should keep even the most avid reader busy for at least a year or two.

-Enjoy

I would say the main character is pretty grey in some senses because of events in his past and how he grew up...but ultimately good. Its been about a year since I read them so I'm having a hard time thinking of how to explain the characters, but for the most part its all pretty much black and white with everybody, but all of them are pretty interesting. Magic is very prevalent in the story mostly because the main character is learning it, but he is one of few who can use it. The characters are going to be very far from ASoIaF, I'd say they like the Harry Potter series for an older audience.

That was a great list of some of the best fantasy I have ever read and added a few Im gonna try thank you very much.