Best Backup System for Linux?

Hi, I want to create a backup schedule for my Ubuntu home server. What is the best way to do this?

Backup system for what? Are you backing up your desktop to your server, your server offsite, or some combination of both.

Take a look at CrashPlan, it's free for non-cloud use.

Knowing specifically what you'd like to do will help me give you more tailored advice.

backing up server applications like teamspeak locally and remotely.

Do you have a remote location you're planning on backing up to or do you need suggestions?

Local backups can be done with a bash script taring it up into a directory and a cron job.

Remote backups can be done the same way, but would need to be a bit more advanced.

if you want incremental backups, CrashPlan may be your best bet.

I'm not really sure on what remote location I would use. I was thinking about google drive, if that is possible, because I have 1tb of unused space. Also what are the advantages of incremental backups vs full backups? Any thoughts on lvm snapshots?

I don't really have an opinion on lvm snapshots. I don't use them, and never have.

You could use Google Drive, but I don't think there's anything that will help easily accomplish the backups for you.

Incremental backups give only backup the changes, where full backups back up everything. This means that if any of the Incremental backups become damaged, you may not be able to recover data from any backups made after the damaged one. With full backups, you don't have this issue, but you do have more disk and network use.

@JesusLOLOLOL rsync will do the job.

3 Likes

Since switching to linux ive fallen in love with rsync :). If you know what you want saved rsync the crap out of it. Even when you dont its most likely in ~ ie your user directory for me its /home/marten

Just be careful with the --delete-after option Because it will delete after it finishes ! LoL

I use it to update my laptop, so if I move stuff around I typically : rsync -ah --progress --compress-level=0 --delete-after

There is probably a way to mount a google drive locally and then you can use rsync to backup to it.

Have a look at this, I used this to set up my backups using rsync. It will give you snapshot style incremental backups. (an incremental backup just copies changes rather that doing a complete copy, so it's much quicker and uses less space. As long as the original files don't become corrupt you can load any snapshot at any point in history to use if something goes wrong)

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I use --delete sometimes.....-delete-after seems like a way to punish oneself.

Just rsync your /etc and /home to another folder for local backup or another server/workstation for remote.

A couple of options I've looked at in the past are rdiff-backup and duplicity. Both are based on rsync, and duplicity also supports encryption.