Best 300TB storage for $100K challenge

that is interesting, do you have to share data between linux and windows OS? This is part that I can’t get a clear picture of what software solutions supports full RW bandwidth (through RDMA?) for both OS with minimal overhead.

We frequently share data between Linux, Mac OS, and Windows, as well as specialized web clients that do things like in browser editing of files, text, and data.

While we optimize hevily for 4k writes due to it MOSTLY being video data its tunable. The real key I think is ease of use.

A roll your own or host system like TrueNAS may be too much management overhead and software overhead for just moving around data.

That is why I think a hardware RAID + SAS solution might be a better fit. Pair that with some 25gb network cards on each workstation and a solid switch.

The company I work for is a reseller of EVO Shared Storage Server SAN+NAS - SNS (Studio Network Solutions) the EVO product but these guys understand storage. I honestly think a conversation with them might be a good place to start.

We all can help, but storage is literally their biz and they get it in a way that the big guys like Dell/HP/Netapp don’t because they focus more on web scale and database.

1 Like

Does all 300TB of your data need to be “hot?”
In other words, is the data written and then accessed frequently for a short period of time and less frequently as time goes on? Can some get archived to disk while hot data remains on flash?

I think you are really going to need to look at tiered storage for something like this for your price budget.

I’ve had really good luck with Santricity both from NetApp and Lenovo, but you need a file system so that’s out. I got an All Flash 12G SAS based DE4000F SAN recently for around $0.12 a GB with 5 years of 24/7x4 support.

If you have a virtual environment and you want to run a separate file server, this may be an option that would work pretty well.

I’ve had really good luck with Pure storage, and I think Flash Array //C may suit your needs
High Capacity Storage by FlashArray//C | Storage Capacity | Pure Storage

But I’m not sure if you are going to be able to get it into budge…I’m not sure what //C pricing looks like now but I think it was around $.50/GB so that’s like $150k before support.

Which begs the other question, what tier of support and SLAs would you want for your deployment?

What does your budget look like for warranty renewals?

As far as ZFS, if you want to build a system like this and use ZFS I’m sure its possible. I wouldn’t spend this kind of money without buying it from IX themselves though. Have you talked to any channel partners or to IX?
This is a 1U system, but they have larger systems available that are all flash
(41) 16 SSDs IN 1U! - All-Flash TrueNAS R10 Review! - YouTube

1 Like

@NicKF, ideally all of 300TB needs to be performing at 40GB/s. Users probably will keep the data for a few days after processing before off loading data to the institutional storage through 10/40G network connection. Institutional storage speeds vary and usually doesn’t saturate the 10/40G connections.

300TB all nvme hardware probably will be a significant portion of 100K. IX solutions look good, I will reach out.

The 32 bay SSD server from 45 drives with 40Gb NICs

Would need more than one, but the price of just one rules it out… so nvmd

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.