Bent CPU socket pins on motherboard (2nd Gen threadripper)

Hi,

I purchased and received a used motherboard, with what looks like bent pins on the CPU socket (TR4 socket, for threadripper gen 1 & 2).

Should I install my new CPU (threadripper 2990wx, cost me $1200) and see if there are any problems, or should I just return the motherboard and get another one?

I did see some Youtube videos and forum posts where it’s possible to straighten out the bent pins, although by just looking at the socket with my own eyes, seems kind of hard since the pins are so small.

Any help is appreciated.

i can’t recommend inserting a cpu with those Pins bent because that might bent them over backwards and that is even harder to fix.

Those pins are rathber sturdy in my expeirence compared with LGA1151 for example.
So, a fix is doable and shouldn’t be hard when you use your head how to go about it.

First step woul’d be more pictures from different angles.

Yes, that is fixable. Tools needed:
small LED flashlight
sewing needle
fine needle pointed tweezers
10X jewelers loupe
5X magnifying glass

Position the flashlight on the motherboard so that it shines at low angle across the pins of the socket.
Use the magnifying glasses to locate the damage and orientation of the bent pins.

If any pin is bent backwards, use the tweezers to straighten out the pin. Be slow and careful. Small changes. Also don’t try to work the pin too much or fatigue may happen and the pin will break.

Once all the pins are straightened out, use the sewing needle to push the pins into the correct location and orientation.

Using the light reflected off the ball ends of the pins, orient the bent pins ball ends to match the location of the row and columns of adjacent undisturbed pins.

You want the reflected light of the ball ends to be inline with the row and columns. Check the ball end heights too.

I have used this technique to recover damaged Intel and AMD motherboards to full functionality.

1 Like

Did you knowingly buy this used? If not, return it.

Otherwise, this is fixable, but if the company did not disclose this, ask them for a different one. If they are not going to honor that, then I would do the repair. Computer stuff is too expensive right now to take those kinds of risks.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.