Beige box

First new build since 2007. Finally got some funds together for a new system, and decide to go full AMD seeing as they seem to support Linux better and put stuff in the kernel… therefore hopefully making it easier for me down the road.

In the mean time I worked out that if I ran Windows I could run Lightroom and speed up (supposedly) and simplify my workflow over darktable, and also the much-hyped PhotoMechanic over using Rapid-Photo-Downloader and Geeqie for SDcard downloading and culling. I later realised that Photo Mechanic is rubbish compared to the FOSS alternatives. I actually got Geeqie running under WSL, which amused me immensely; kinda the opposite of what most people go to the effort of doing…

Anyway, the build:
I had to do a crap ton of research, as I gave up following what the current trends were a few years ago. Although it seems it cheaper to buy RGB stuf than try and find stuff without these days :facepalm:
Ended up with the following that fit my budget and were actually in stock the second my wife allocated the funds to my man-purse. Actually thats not true, I did wait for sales.

Beige Box Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $343.85 @ PB Technologies
CPU Cooler Silverstone PF240-ARGB 94 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $285.55 @ Newegg New Zealand
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $189.95 @ PB Technologies
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $144.99 @ PB Technologies
Storage Gigabyte 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $204.00 @ ExtremePC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card -
Power Supply Silverstone Essential 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply -
Case Fan Noctua S12A PWM 120 mm Fan $101.25 @ Newegg New Zealand
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1472.09

This is just for the list, I got my stuff from sales at Computer Lounge and PBTech.

oh, there’s no case? That’s because I had one.

I just had to remove the Pentium III. :+1:

So I gutted the case and got rid of the entrails, then worked out that I was suuuuper glad that I (frivolously, I had thought) got an AIO cpu liquid cooler. Because the CPU was half under the PSU… and thankfully the CPU block fit under the PSU yaaaay.
I then worked out I had to somewhat modify the case to fit everything, and spent a few hours trying to get the radiator hidden inside the case before giving up and deciding to exhaust through it on the top of the case, mounted externally.
I cut and bent bottom of the HDD drive bay up slightly to fit the 5700XT, sat the noctua fans where I wanted them and made sure they might hopefully fit.

Disassembled the whole thing, and drove to work with the case. By day I’m a forklift mechanic. We have a reasonable workshop, which is handy.
So now the fun part. Well, one of them. Drilling big holes :grin:

Front lower fan

And adding some colorsteel (left over from patching my house roof), as another fan mounting point where the CD drive was. 5 1/4 bays, I believe they used to be called.

All fan holes done! One more intake in hte bottom at the rear also. I still need taller feet for it.

Back home, then marked out where to cut for hosing and fan cables. I worked out I wanted the fans to exaust through the rad, and not suck through it, so sandwiched them between the rad and case top.

Finished drilling and cutting, cleaned down the case and threw everything inside.
Instantly regretted not getting a modular PSU.

I did manage to tidy it a ton. RGB fans and cpu block lasted 48 hours, then I removed them from the rgb mobo headers and uninstalled all the control software from… Windows 10. Yeah, I went that way initially. Had a key so why not.

The (nearly) finished box.

All I have left to do is cut the punched hole mesh down to fit in the front and on the top of the radiator, and paint it to match. Oh and order some magnetic fan filters.

I also got given a 2TB WD external drive that didnt work; turns out it works once shucked from it’s case and installed in a machine, and dug out the m.2 ssd that came with my laptop and put in the second mobo m.2 slot. Currently dual booting Regolith but will probably go back to Manjaro i3 on it, I have that on my laptop and it works well for me. I was going to go Void Linux, but I don’t have time anymore for setting up crap like Arch or Void.
2TB HDD is ntfs and accessed from both OS.

So yeah, done. I’ll update in 2 years maybe when I get around to putting the grills on lol.

Anyone wondering what I use it for; Open Perpetuum and photo editing. Not the best screen for that, I regret getting it honestly and wish I’d got an IPS panel. If anyone wishes to comment on future upgrade paths I’m open to that but it won’t be for a few years yet probably.

14 Likes

That’s pretty awesome.

What’s the screen?

1 Like

Thanks. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONTTA3406/Titan-Army-N34HQW-34-Curved-UltraWide-Monitor--Sam
Titan Army N34HQW. Great bang for buck, I’m just disappointed in the clarity and inconsistent colours depending on viewing angle… it’s actually close enough for what I’m doing honestly though. It’s more the lesser sharpness that annoys me the most. But hey, it’s a big screen for the price, it certainly is bloody useful.

1 Like

Really nice hot rod! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a nice monitor. Pretty much everything I want in one anyway, I would not be doing anything professional

1 Like

Beautiful.

1 Like

NICE! :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hey that is retro cool! :+1:t2:

Only i would try to fill the front gab with some mesh.

5 Likes

This is awesome! I have one old beige box in my basement and now I’m wondering if I should do something like this to it. :smile:

2 Likes

Do it.

2 Likes

I have the mesh, I just need to trim it and paint :blush:

2 Likes

Lovely machine!

And fits the color of the fans :smiley:

2 Likes

Where does the lower front fan pull air from? The bottom looks solid.

1 Like

lol yeah that was deliberate, though I would have used those fans anyway to keep it quiet.
I want to change the pair on the rad to dinner noctua also, even at less flow I never heat it up enough to matter.

There’s an air gap in the bottom of the plastic front cover, originally there’s an 80mm? fan mount there anyway. They basically idle permanently anyway so aren’t drawing a ton of flow.

1 Like

Do you plan to paint the rad beige too?

1 Like

I’m not sure! Still undecided, which is part of the reason (besides procrastination) that I haven’t put the grill on top yet; not sure if I’ll paint it beige or black. If I get a pair of noctuas for the rad then I’ll look at painting it And the grill to go on top, though I’ll leave the core(fins) black of course as they’ll be hidden.

Right now I’m getting stuck into house renovations so it may be a while, seeing as it works as it sits :joy:
I would prefer to see it “finished” though so we’ll see how I get on.

1 Like

@Even747 you definitely should. I probably only spent maybe 12 hours working out how to fit everything and modifying the case… before I could actually start proper assembly :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll put this on my to-do list, I need to complete my G5 case mod first and fix few things on my previous case project before starting anything new :smile:

3 Likes

I have just gone through the WIn10 screen calibration procedure… and OMG it is sooo much better! Removed the red/violet overtone and increased the contrast/blacks a ton. It also corrected the brightness so it’s less harsh on my eyes, so I definitely feel better about it now. I believe they’re reject samsung panels, but it works well.

Now I need to find out how to do the same thing on the Linux partition.

1 Like