bedHedd's blog because discourse > twitter

Now that’s efficiency. I usually just fall asleep listening to random :poop: and in the morning when I make my breakfast, I put on my headphones and re-listen to the same video to actually finish it.

It’d be really cool if I could have something like a sandwich maker make me eggs and bacon or scrambled eggs, without me having to monitor them, but idk about the cleaning process. For me, it’s really easy to clean the cooktop (that someone else didn’t after they were finished with it), cook, then clean my pan, plate and utensils, and the cooktop. But I waste 20 min cooking, 10 eating and another 10 cleaning.

Sandwich makers weren’t the easiest to clean when I used to have one (unless you were making just sandwiches and avoided putting in too much cheese). I wonder how well would airfried eggs come out (and how long the cleaning process). But another thing I’m struggling with where I’m at is space for kitchen appliances. I have to keep my toaster out of the kitchen and only bring it in when I want some toast.

My room mates have a pressure cooker in the dining room (since it doesn’t fit in the really small kitchen we have and barely fits there too). I sometimes use it myself, but many times we conflict when we both want to use it, so I revert to the stove (and I don’t have space to get a pressure cooker for myself). When I get to use it, it does save time, which I can dedicate to other things.

Do you have any tips of using appliances to not have to monitor the cooking process? What’s your most common foods you “automated” and make (relatively) often? Mine are stews in the pressure cooker. I sometimes use the stove, but the stove takes sooo long to cook compared to pressure cookers.

I’m mostly interested in the daily breakfast though. I don’t mind spending like 2-3 hours a week cooking once, instead of spending 30 minutes a day cooking different stuff. But breakfast is another story (I try alternating what I eat in the morning every other day).

1 Like

The pics

For these eggs, the most cleaning I did was cleaning up the egg shells.

The most cleaning for the air fryer is a monthly air fryer/pressure cooker 15-20 min steam cycle filling the pot 50/50 vinegar/water (usually because I cook steaks and beef in the cooker). After the steam cycle, I’ll clean the silicone ring, the metal catch cap, and plastic catch can with dish soap + a sponge.

Every couple of days I’ll throw the stainless steel pot in the dishwasher.

Air fried meats other than eggs. I really like my air fryer even though I was intially a air fryer hater.
When I air fry steaks, I wash a mini grill rack (to get air on the other side of meats) and the stainless steel pan

As the air fryer heats up (hottest temp I can get for 5 minutes), I place the steak onto a 4 inch grill rack inside the pan. Once the air fryer finishes, I’ll place the pan with the steak on top of the same rack I used for the eggs

For my air fried medium rare strip steaks, I throw my pan and grill rack into the dish washer. Most of my time is spent waiting for the air fryer 27 minutes usually (5 min pre heat @max heat, 6-7 min for cooking (360°F), 1 min flip, 3-4 min final sear (400° F), 10 min resting).

Yeah I felt a bit of buyers remorse not getting the 18 qt version. Fortunately, I didn’t because the 6.5 quart takes up a lot of counter space

My roommate will cook ground beef patties in the steel pan, so we usually let each other know when the air fryer is open.

Up until now, I’ve been eating eggs or cheese sticks (when I am busy). I don’t mind having the same food day in day out. Before boiled eggs, I’d do a rice + kimchee + egg mix.

Though while looking for cooking eggs in the air fryer, this was a interesting article I came across

1 Like

I saw the pictures, lol. I meant fried eggs or something else aside from boiled eggs.

Oh, that’s cool.

Ok, I see. I thought a monthly clean would be enough, but I guess it ain’t that easy. Still, if it’s just a bowl that can be removed from the rest, to hand wash or dishwasher wash, then should be easy.

I might be looking into an air fryer myself.

Thanks, m8! And Happy New Year!

1 Like

Yeah it’s specific for my ninja, but it’s easier to clean than a tray style air fryer

Yeah I’ve switched to stainless steel after hearing how the classification of ceramic nonstick is just having silicon in the pan.

I was using silicone baking bowls, but I switched away after learning silicone releases fumes at high temperatures and isn’t a thing you should put in the dishwasher

Definitely look for one that’s easy to clean (either a oven style or one integrated into a pressure cooker). i learned that you are supposed to clean a air fryer on a regular basis, so you want one that is easy to access the chamber The other thing is to check the aftermarket support as if you want to move away from nonstick cookware, bigger brands have a bigger aftermarket

I’m out of the loop, what? I love ceramic stuff (I don’t cook at high temps, only medium-high). You’re saying ceramic is no better than teflon?

Ok, just watched the video. I don’t have fancy, colorful pans, just normal (aluminum pans) with a ceramic coating (either black or white). I know not to go full blast on my stove with them. I also only use wooden spatulas (I hate silicon ones anyway and metal ones eventually heat and the plastic handles melt - there’s nothing better than wood spatulas or long wood chopsticks depending on what I cook). I guess I should reconsider my cookware.

I was looking into cast iron and also all-copper cookware, but neither work with induction (copper not at all, cast iron you need to heat slowly, because you risk hot spots and damaging the induction cooktop). I don’t have induction yet, but I was thinking to get into that (for the efficiency). And most induction cookware are either non-stick or stainless steel (which are either unhealthy, or a royal PITA to clean).

There’s Dutch ovens, which have a layer of enamel on the surface. Not as “non-stick” as an oiled cast iron, but more resistant to abuse (won’t rust). Also, one thing I really hate about cast iron is the fact that you need to add so much oil to everything (same for stainless steel). You just make your food less healthy. You trade the “plastics” from non-stick (and apparently “”“ceramic”“” coating) that get released slowly, for high heated oil that might cause similar, if not worse effects (in particular excess fat gain).

In my ceramic pans, I do add a bit of butter, lard or coconut oil, just to simmer stuff (or make eggs), but not as much as I would have with non-stick alternatives.

I really wish to just move over to cookware alternatives that are not introducing harmful chemicals in my body and that don’t require constant attention. Maybe a pressure cooker (which are usually stainless steel) and making only making soups (so it’s easy to clean) should be the way forward. I don’t mind soups, but I prefer stews (which can take more ingredients and a bigger variety).

Lul, what? Is that a thing? I just use pyrex. The tempered soda-lime (bluish / greenish tinge) glass cookware is the newer thing, which is what I have. If you frequent antique shops, try looking for pre-80’s pyrex that was made from borosilicate glass, which is less mechanical shock resistant, like if you drop it, but more thermal shock resistant, meaning you can pour cold water in a hot glass or hot food into a cold / room-temperature glass. There’s also ancient aluminosilicate glassware that was cooktop resistant (known as “flameware”) and has a bluish tinge.

And if you don’t like the heavy stuff, there’s always stainless steel bowls…

We have a dishwasher, but I always just wash by hand. I care for my cookware and don’t want to damage them. Besides, it’s best to clean everything as soon as you’re done with them, not just leave them for n hours until you start the dishwasher when it’s full. It’s a good habit (at some point in life, I used to not even clean my dishes regularly, but now I clean everything as soon as I’m done with them).

I will keep this in mind.

I’d go with carbon steel. I feel cast iron and stainless steel are too heavy (I have a stainless steel wok and my bro has a cast iron). If you don’t want to deal with the long process of baking a seasoning, I’d look into spot seasoning

I found that vinegar + hot water cleans off burnt food

Alternatively,

Probably best type of oil to use

Log’s oils explanation The Lounge [For the Sophisticated Shut-in: Edition]:

Also this chart

Avacado oil is probably the best liquid oil from that list

Yeah it’s an alternative to parchment paper

Yeah that’s what I use now

Makes sense for cookware, though for me I use it to clean my stainless steel pot. I use it mostly because the automation part. I can do other things while my dishes and stainless steel air fryer accessories wash

My roommate and I go through enough dishes that we can run the wash every other day

G-ma cock block!
I Fell in Love, so I Tried Livestreaming.: Chapter 88, Page 15

Inuzuka can’t get a break lol

Cool art page
Sousou no Frieren: Chapter 114, Page 19

2.5k AI steak/pizza cooker time-stamped

I forgot to mention that things connected to the internet or that require I install software on my phone or other device to run it (unless FOSS) are out of the question. Also, lol @ LTT.

1 Like

Saw this recently

To improve flexibility, the recommendation was 2 sets of 30 second stretches for 5-6 days a week
Decided to look up some short full body beginner stretches. These were some examples I might try out

This might be better if you are used to working out

I might try it out in the evening

This might be better if you need something to follow

Tested this out, definitely a lot easier to follow along to

Oh neat a Miura, I just learned about them from vinwiki
Kanojo no Carrera: Chapter 8, Page 9

Cool cover
Kanojo no Carrera: Chapter 9, Page 1

Zamn a viper
Kanojo no Carrera: Chapter 11, Page 15

Nobody: …
Video Essayist: it’s all capitalism’s fault

Might have to try Chained Echoes before I make a decision. Huntress from Risk of Rain 2 works great for steam pads + gyro aim

Kinda a surprised that deadcells devs did a weird way of syncing save data. I didn’t have this issue with sea of stars.

experience so far:

For a person who has never played a rouge lite, it’s challenging, but rewarding game. It took me 20+ tries to clear the first boss (which I cheesed by using a sentry + bear trap). I wish there was a upgrade/weapon combo that combined the shield parry with your offensive weapon similar to mg:R’s offensive defensive upgrade. I’m not used to switching between sword and shield, so it’s hard to react to parryable attacks

I still have some mixed feelings about the game not having any save points, as it makes it really hard to put down when you get a really good loadout. My issues will probably go away as I get familiar enough with the game that clearing through the early levels is easier or unlock more upgrades.

Also TIL the difference between rouge lite and rouge like

Daaanng the 2000GT looks good from this angle
Kanojo no Carrera: Chapter 19, Page 1

Coming in hot sheesh
Kanojo no Carrera: Chapter 25, Page 14

1 Like

Is discourse really greater than twitter though? Is it really?

2 Likes

100% yes.

1 Like

Markdown + no post/image limit > twitter

2 Likes

Technical side yeah probably better.

People side. Thats subjective

1 Like