Becoming a Vigilante (Hacker)

anonymous is mostly media/ social engineering based now if you haven't noticed. ther intrusions arent that mentionable. not to this community anyway.

but i get where you are coming from. If you go in that path just be prepared to go to jail if you get caught. its you vs MIT grads from these companies. in this career education does matter.

but seriously, you sound a bit young, and the best thing to do is stay in school, study whatever you want to study, and by the time you hit 30 you'll wonder how you ever thought you had time to save the world.

5 Likes

Either he's twelve, or trolling.

1 Like

For the universe to be at peace there must be no one in it.
Without injustice we will never see justice.
How can it be good if there is no evil to draw a comparison to?

Not for sure about all that. I just know the best way to save the world is to save yourself. I keep getting told again and again "you can't change anyone else, you can only change yourself". I am truly starting to believe the best solution to fighting for a cause, or standing up for what I believe is right, etc, is to be the best I can be and doing the best I can to to do what I see as right. Accepting that I can change what I see as right as I learn more. That I can change me. My way of thinking. My way of doing things. Me. Not you.

If everyone lived that way the world would be a lot more interesting place. I am starting to think that at least. The best example isn't the bomb in the boardroom, it is the executives all doing the right thing. Do all the fighting, killing, destruction you want. It might be fun, but at the end of the day it hasn't proven all that effective or lasting.

1 Like

127.0.0.1, where does that lead to, OP?

And OP, mostly what you want to do is illegal. So thread locked

Reopened, as it hasn't completely turned into a trolling thread.

carry on everyone and don't blow it.

1 Like

The problem I have with this direction of thinking is, they never have the whole story or even multiple sides of it. Then you got all the BS that gets said while people are posturing or trying to intimidate each other. How do the people feel when some one comes along and re-opens something they are trying to move past whether they got justice or not or if they even really care about that. I had a sufficiently screwed up childhood and if some one came along spouting crap about "justice" on things I had long put to rest I would go after the person antagonizing me, not the person that caused the problem. "Social Justice" doesn't take into account the feelings, well being, safety or mental state of the victim. I just don't see victimizing victims again as justice. Not going into corporations, I'm crazy enough already.

2 Likes

i mean, "esoteric interest" puts us all on the list for interest in computers anyways as the government is paranoid some kid in a basement will crash the economy or take down all the planes or some bs.
you can get on that list more then once anyways. good luck on your quest and try to consider you future and the "is this worth going to jail for the rest of my life" aspect thingy.
that being said standing up for what you believe in and dissent can be a good thing. he said grey not full on black. maybe he means non violent protesting? or some other "should totally be white but laws are written to make everything illegal" thingy.

I knew a guy that attempted to do something he saw on tv once, he's in prison now.
get your certs and get paid for your work.
then if you feel like being an internet hero don't tell anyone about it, and if yo get caught you have something too fall back on.

1 Like

Although it sounds like the most exciting thing ever, I'd stay away from any black or gray 'hatting' and hacktivism, since I still have responsibilities to fulfill, becoming a target is the worst thing you can do for your family and friends, mainly because they can become collateral. No sane person would toy with that. Omitting the law question. If you can live with that and if you get any success, how do you decide how you play the god of justice game a vigilante plays? Who is the villain? What is a villain? How are you sure somebody is a villain? What information do you trust? Are you sure you're not biased or maybe you're trusting biased info? That's a lot of questions you have to deal with, or don't deal with them, that's one quick way to become a villain yourself, which might lead you ways you cannot get back from. You're pretty much done for if you don't have anyone covering your ass.

Speaking of that, you need lots of resources to even become a 'blip on the map', you won't be able to do it alone. And here comes the trust issues, when people start getting put in jail they start to care less for their collaborators, you will make a lot of enemies and frenemies. While social engineering is the best thing you could do on your own, getting a hold of zero-day attacks to be able to execute something more large scale is near impossible. I would be curious to find out what sums of cash are flowing in the black market for these things and what large scale operations are prepared or even are underway without us knowing. Though I'm pretty sure both of your kidneys won't be enough to make something like that happen. You need a following, an empire, and you don't build one in a day, or even a year, maybe not even in 5 years, and likely you're going to end up with 12 year olds that think they are top notch hackers if you don't have any connections. Only likely though. You may end up with a critical mass of all the right people. You never know if you don't try though. But then again, what do you have that people would find worthy to follow? Skills? Character? Your idea? At this point you start to become just another f-king politician like dude that may be hated and targeted by another vigilante. What goes around, comes around.

You should seriously consider everything, you're still going to be a criminal in any way, you will no longer be a part of the normal society. As much as you might want to be a special snowflake, not being a part of society is more like signing a death warrant. You mentioned Mr. Robot, they do kind of tackle these questions indirectly, but it's a show, it won't be that much exciting IRL. A lot of people here are right about many things, if hacking is a passion of yours, better get paid for it by the people who ask you to hack them, a pentester basically.

4 Likes

I'd you were to get just one. Get OSCP.

I don't want to respond to this post, because I don't want to get put on the same list as the OP. Dammnit !!! OK, no takebacks...Damn keyloggers already got me before I hit "post".

in short dont let the world know if you going to do it, or just work and learn to develop like the large majority of us and live normal, conspiracy thought driven lives

2 Likes

Being good at it doesn't come naturally though. I was twelve before I was reliably house trained. The basics are easy enough to pick up but implementing them into a good BM is tough.

Edit:
Shiiiiit!!! I didn't realize this comment was six days old and was in a thread I would rather see dead. I am so sorry for having brought this travesty of a topic back up. I really, Extremely, am sorry.

It's not as easy as you think it is.

You can't just do it over night and you definitely can't just jump into hacking without studying technology and gradually getting your feet wet, and metaphorically learning to swim.

Truthfully, you need to learn not only Windows Systems and Shell (Powershell) but Linux Systems and Shell (Bash).

You need to understand networking at a deep level. You need to know your A+ and way more advanced hardware and software definitions.

Additionally, it's important to learn by doing, not by reading. Get a managed cisco switch, get a cisco router. Learn IOS.

Learn the kali tools. Learn how to program.

The hard part is learning the back end of these systems at a server level, because if you aren't in an enterprise environment with hundreds / thousands of users, you need to emulate that or practice in a way to become a sort of systems administrator.

cissp cert, mcsp, redhat certified systems engineer, red hat enterprise linux system adminstrator.

Electrical engineering, computer hardware / software engineering. Get a soldering iron and start learning how to build circuit boards and arrays.

Also above all, you need to have a thirst for knowledge, and you have to be willing to pay $ for it. books, hardware, and most importantly TIME.

In reality, you have to give up a lot of friendships and relationships and your hobbies, in order to study and learn.
You can keep in touch, but you need your alone time to focus.

Always remember, you will never know everything. You don't have to spend $1000's to go to college, although it wouldn't hurt, but I find self study actually more beneficial than a structured rode study.

Don't hack for malicious purposes or your own profit. ONLY ATTEMPT hacks on your self or your own systems, or with permission from others if you do attack other systems. ONLY ATTEMPT hacks on other systems, if you are absolutely confident in your ability. NEVER SPEAK about your hacks to other people and don't brag about it.

It's also worth noting, that the allure of hacking is more fun than the actual process of hacking. It's time consuming. It requires social interaction most of the time or many hours of research beforehand. Sometime it's just waiting for your computer to crank out the cracked password. Other times it's DOSING a access point. Or it could be gathering information, which could take days. It's not pleasant most of the time and it takes a certain person to find that fun and entertaining. The actual process of learning how to do it, is much more fun than actually doing it.

Plus you have to have a goal. If your goal is to just crack the wpa2 password, or break an encryption, or hack an online user account, then fine. But once you do that, what's the goal? If it's just to do it, you will soon find out, that it's a big waste of time. If you have a target, you have to learn how to plan your goals, you have to think ahead and create a guideline for what the end point is. If you don't have that, you will soon hit a road block and you will either A. give up, or B. lose interest and go back to A.

1 Like

I initially wanted to get into white hat hacking (because i'm a goody two shoes) or penetration testing for companies. That was when I was younger and naive to the whole ordeal. I have great, great respect for pen testers now. The shear breadth of knowledge you require is astounding and as many others have said, it's not just something you walk into. I'll make the OSI model my bitch later on in my life as for now, i'll stick to dev work lol

4 Likes

irc.anonops.com Get Mullvad, Hexchat and Tor. Tons of public documentiation on how to use them properly.

Start your "Grey Hatting" today!