Be a good GNU/Linux advocate on these forums

Fantastic post !

Also true. The masses don't need Linux, they need a spoon fed OS with everything installed, and that is OK for some. The issues begin with privacy. It's only at it's infancy on Windows, Keyloggers, shared Passwords etc will eventually discourage many to stay on the Windows bandwagon.

well. i've seen very good response times from the mod team when it comes to removing posts that don't further the discussion, what i'd like to see would be something like

"top five applications/updates from the AUR" or something like that. i'm on Manjaro, and although i have access to the AUR, i had no idea what benefits i could be getting from it. is there an update or beta version of X that has can do Y that the other versions can't? does Z fix Y bug that's been prevalent? that's the kind of thing i would be interested in reading.

I think something like that might interest a lot of Arch users, not just in the forums but in Arch as well. The distro has a severe lack of information dissemination, unless you read the main site you dont get informed of potential system breaking changes, and yes, the AUR is a good resource but theres not much information on it. They changed to git for the AUR a good feature on it would be to publish commit messages so you know what was changed and why. Some curated top updates type of thing might be well received.

It's funny too cause we used to have a barrage of "Arch" enthusiasts on the forum. though they either left or, they just don't speak on it like they used to.

2 Likes

I've switched away from Arch for a number of reasons.

Speaking of distros though I plan to make a little "thoughts on Debian" type posts about my time using Debian the last few months on my main computer. Im torn between continuing to use it and moving back to my long time go to distro.

I agree with most of this.

The only thing I have to say about telling someone to MAN a command. If a user is asking about command syntax, pointing them to the man command is probably the most useful thing one can do.

If they are familiar enough to use the command line, and are curious enough to explore, than giving them access to that Library of knowledge is invaluable.

Maybe I see it this way, because there was no Google when I started, When I was told (in bash) to hit TAB twice, and then told the resulting wall of text is EVERY command I was capable of using. Then I was shown that "man" is the key to the manual pages for every command in that wall of text. I was given access to everything I ever needed.

Maybe someone can cut and paste this explanation next time someone asks about command syntax.

4 Likes

I like being refereed to as a Nerd and identify as one myself, so in my case being called a nerd would be met with warmth :D

is man the same as --help, just in a text editor type thing?

well yes, but tyou can be technically correct ie "linux is for nerds" and still be insulting. off topic: how can i quote two users in one post, so i don't double-post like i just did?

man is a shell command, just like cd, mv, cat, and all the others. It just brings up a text file with relevant information. "man cd" would bring up a few pages on the options you can use with the cd command. (It stands for manual, in case that wasn't clear.)

1 Like

In most (but not all) cases the man page for a program is far more detailed. The majority of man pages will explain all the switches but will also provide additional details, examples, and related programs.

It displays like a text buffer, you use q to exit the page.

2 Likes

High light what you want to quote and the select quote, do the same thing with a second sentence

Linux may be capable of being the solution for everyone, but not everyone is near close to ready to run linux. Keep it in mind guys.

I'm still here, and Arch is still the bees knees. Everyone who choose another distro over Arch have poor cooking skills and don't know how to tie their own shoes!

1 Like

I use Manjaro. I don't have shoe laces. I have straps to keep it on me feet

sad and terrible joke alert lol

2 Likes

Another Manjaro user. Can't cook. Working on self tying shoe laces.

3 Likes

Happy Mint user. Can't be bothered to cook. Don't need to tie my shoelaces, velcro more than meets my needs.

Joking aside, please don't let this thread turn into another "my distro is better than yours" argument. If it works for the user and said user is happy with it, just be happy for him/her. We're all on the same side here.

1 Like

Ah, standard programmer answer. "I don't like X. Let me spend hours and hours trying to automate X so on the off chance I need it again, I can just have it done for me."

If it does turn into that thread, We can just delete all the comments, lock, and keep it pinned. This thread is way too good for us to lose it to deraillers.

1 Like

Why are people so much afraid of some nice friendly, fun, trolling banter? Have we forgotten how to be geeks all of a sudden to avoid confrontation?

1 Like