BD770i based offsite backup server, storage setup suggestions

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/build-log-silent-night-my-own-take-on-quiet-and-power-efficient-nas/

It’s quite long so if you want my tl;dr on it let me know.
It’s capped to 32GB, don’t know why Intel lists it as only 16GB capable.
Yeah, you could go that route with the SATA ports. It would make the most sense for the configuration.

4 lanes all in one place and that’s it. 5 if you count the wifi card slot. Meanwhile, even if the AsRock N100M doesn’t have 4 lanes on a single slot, it has 9 lanes to work with that aren’t too dumbly split.

Yeah, but you’re gonna need to get your hands dirty with it to set up everything (and sounds totally like you wanna do that).
It is kinda expensive for what it is, especially if you want to get 16 or even 32GB of RAM. Though ARM does better with RAM compared to CISC.

There ain’t much that can be done with non-Pro Ryzen CPUs. The most efficient ones are the Pro versions of consumer chips for whatever better C state support, can’t recall exactly.

For a NAS over gigabit anything these days has enough power to transfer at that speed. If it’s a newer CPU with encryption support can even encrypt on the fly at gigabit. If connectivity is an issue you can’t get around it with the alternatives you mentioned.

Very much so, but one thing is experimenting and another is putting something to good use and not having it waste power idling.

Those are pretty comparable to the Intel N skus. Especially now that the N305 is out. If there was a board like the AsRock with that CPU I would’ve bought it even faster! 8 E cores are nothing to scoff at.

If they ever release a Ryzen 3 7000 it might be worth looking into that, if AMD fixed the C states.

The BD770i got a BIOS update to improve the PCIe subsystem compatibility and gained bifurcation support in the process: x8x8, x8x4x4, x4x4x4x4. With a splitter you could realistically use two controllers in a x4x4 application and still retain 8 lanes for something else. Or using an x8 HBA.