Battle.net frozen after login

I am running Pop OS 1804 and using Lutris to launch the battle net client.
My system is a System76 May 2019 Galago Pro with an AMD Radeon RX570 eGPU.

Anyone willing to offer some guidance on how to resolve the issue? Any guides or links or anything? I followed the Lutris Battle net wiki. I ran into an issue with installing wine. I received the unmet dependencies issues the guide warns about, but the suggested fix also results in more unmet dependencies.
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable wine-stable wine-stable-i386 wine-stable-amd64

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine-stable-amd64 : Depends: libfaudio0 but it is not installable
Recommends: libodbc1 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libsdl2-2.0-0 but it is not going to be installed
wine-stable-i386:i386 : Depends: libfaudio0:i386 but it is not installable
Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I assume this failing has to do with the battle net client freezing.

18.04 huh?

Upgrade to 19.10 (to make sure it’s not your kernel, not too sure about the 570) in your about settings and follow this guide: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Game:-Blizzard-App

Make sure you DO NOT LOGIN DURING INSTALLATION, if it stops after about 5 minutes, manually close the login prompt and the installation will continue.

Always read the descriptions about installing from lutris, this really helps you in using whatever you want to install.

This is because Lutris is trying to pull from a System instance of Faudio when there is none. Use this guide:

Also, you must use Lutris Wine 5.2 or newer. If you have an old prefix, nuke it and start fresh with 5.2.

1 Like

I did at one point upgrade to 19.10, but then my mouse was ridiculously laggy as well as all windows in general. the eGPU runs the smoothest on 18.04. I spend a couple hours trying to get rid of the laggy mouse issue on 19.10 using google searching and got nowhere.
Not only that, I have to plug in the eGPU at the login prompt, not before the computer starts and not after I have logged in. It has to get connected at the login prompt otherwise the computer locks up.

The guide you linked me to is the guide I followed and got that unmet dependency issue. However I am using 18.04 and kind of locked into it.

I installed the FAudio packags the guide refeneces, but that didn’t help. Lutris installed Wine 5.5.2, so wine version is good . I still have the same issue. How do I nuke a prefix and start over?

While looking into where I can set the wine version I came a cross an area where Lutris display system information and noticed this:

[Graphics]
Vendor:          Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Whiskey Lake 3x8 GT2)
OpenGL Version:  3.0 Mesa 19.2.8
OpenGL Core:     4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.2.8
OpenGL ES:       OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 19.2.8
Vulkan:          Supported

It seems that I have to figure out how to make Lutris use my eGPU for rendering and not the integrated graphics.
The way things are setup is I have my monitors plugged into the eGPU and I close the lid of my laptop and don’t use the laptop screen at all. Only monitors attached to the eGPU.

You are also on an outdated Mesa. Add the kisak/kisak-mesa PPA to update your Mesa to the latest version.

I’ll try that. Thank you.

Sad day. Still no luck.

I’m not sure if this will help, but have you installed the Vulkan stuff yet?

There is a section specifically for 18.04 and 18.10.

Try to blacklist the Intel modesetting, and then try to use one of the display outputs on the eGPU. You may not be able to use the laptop screen to game.

Yes, I did run through that guide.

Currently researching how to do what you suggest.
Pop!_OS uses sytemd-boot not grub and I find that all examples have options kernel parameters for grub.
I guess I can setup black listing in /etc/modprob.d , however I don’t know what the syntax is to blacklist modesetting for the Intel Driver.

Unfortunately blacklisting the modesetting caused problems. When I plugged in the thunderbolt cable into my laptop, the screen went black and nothing appeared on my monitors attached to the eGPU. If I booted the computer with the thunderbolt cable nothing showed up on any of the screens. Laptop or eGPU attached.

More sad days :frowning:

Then it might be time for some manual device selection and modesetting. ArchWiki’s AMDGPU page could be a start. You could check status after boot if you could SSH into your machine.

I installed Pop!_OS 20.04 since it just released to see if the defaults there would work. It didn’t, but after many hours chasing down rabbit holes I stumbled across the Xorg option "Option “PrimaryGPU” that goes under the OutputClass section. Since I don’t use my laptop monitor at all when I have my eGPU attached, I added that option to the 10-amdgpu.conf file that Pop!_OS creates by default. Now I can boot with the eGPU attached and the GUI doesn’t become sluggish with the GPU attached. Yay! Battle.net loads as does Heroes of the Storm. Yay 2x! Problem I face now is that performance of the game isn’t great. Lutris wiki has some suggestions for me to look into, so I’ll be trying those.

Feral GameMode would be my first suggestion. Next would be turning off compositing completely.

1 Like

That makes a huge difference. Absolutely do that. KDE has a keyboard shortcut for that but I have no idea how to do it on Pop.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.