Battery-powered Options for Keeping 100 iPad Pros Charged for 12 Hours

Hey, so someone I know is working on an event where they have 100 iPad Pros out in the field for a day and they need a way to keep them charged off-grid. They will potentially be under load constantly, so I expect the 10-hour battery life to be more like 4 or 5.

My first instinct was to use a UPS in conjunction with something like this:

Currently, they’re looking at buying a ton of battery banks and plugging charging stations into each one.

Battery Bank:

Charging Station:

But I think they’ll need a ton of those batteries. Quick google says that iPad Pro battery is 10,307mAh. Assuming that’s 12v (is it? total guess there), then that’s ~120watts, so those 250watt batteries aren’t going to go too far with 100 iPads.

A ~2000 watt UPS seems like it would make more sense, but idk how much power is lost to ineffiency of AC/DC or whatever…

Is it worth adding some small-scale solar to this configuration, just to keep some power coming into the system?

Any help is appreciated here.

It’s 3.77 volts.

Sauce:

1 Like

Thanks! That makes a huge difference.

I assume I could count on that 250W battery bank for 6 full iPad charges, then (figuring iPad Pro at ~40W).

Would a generator not work? You can just rent them from a hardware store.

Get some extension cords/power strips and charging paraphernalia and you should be good to go.

2 Likes

Too noisy apparently.

Fully charged car battery, 1000W Inverter and then the rest of your setup? TBH, that’s how we did a “portable” Wii U setup a while back with a 24’’ LCD HDMI screen, Wii U all being driven off of a suitcase with a car battery and inverter.

1 Like

Goal Zero Yeti + Nomad Solar Panel?

1 Like