Bass ackwards build - AMD

Background; I played around with and researched computers a couple decades ago while PC gaming. It's been 10 years since I done anything and never did get beyond replacing video cards. I do have peripherals like monitor and mouse/keyboard and 450w Antec psu.
Now; I was looking thru amazon the other week and found a good deal on ddr3 8gb memory, a new store that I haven't been able to see any more items since that day.. I bought 2 sticks for C$27.00 [all money is taxes and shipping included, Canadian funds]. I was a little wary but I figured that amazon has a good guarantee.
Now I want to scratch build a PC with a C$300.00 limit. Shooter oriented.
So now I needed something to put that memory into..... NIB Gigabite GA-970A-D3P am3+ is what I got from kijiji for $40.00. The seller bought an atx and needed a matx, and had already used the free game that came with the board. I guess I'm going with AMD....
Yesterday I "won" an ASUS-Radeon-RX-460-DUAL-FAN-OC-Edition-1224-1244-MHz-2GB-Video-Card. I have a bit of buyers remorse because I've now seen better cards for cheaper. Oh well, learning costs time or money - this time it was money.
The last thing on the list is the cpu. I'm hoping for an fx 8xxx card for less than the C$93.00 limit I imposed on myself, but I'm not holding my breath. I've found fx6300 for C$94.00 and that may be what I get because I'm not patient enough for the bidding game.
Any input or recommendations welcome.
Thanks,
Richard

You could probably get a Phenom X6 for way less than an FX6, just saying.

I did notice that the mb would support phenom2 and athlon2. I don't know enough about cpu's to make a good decision re; shooter games. If either of those would work well then I will check them out.

I was using a phenom 2 X4 955 until the motherboard died. I did well enough.

2 Likes

i finally get that song

This is pretty close to the price you want... A little over but still decent price

And this is in budget:

1 Like

+1 to the phenom 2 x6 as long as its an unlocked version.

1 Like

I just figured out that x4 is 4 cores and x6 is 6 cores....yes I'm a little under educated. So why is x6 better than x4 in a gaming scenario?

Pheonom X6 would actually be preferable if you can find it working, uses a bit more power, but has better per core performance actually

Otherwise check for the FX 8300 it's usually the cheapest FX 8 core chip

and you'll want a Hyper 212 or better CPU cooler

if a game uses more threads the X6 is better

Overwatch for example uses 6 threads, a phenom X6 would be on the 6300's level here

ignore the FX 4xxx here I'm fairly certain there's a mistake

1 Like

I agree other posters, you might have better luck going with a older Phenom II either quad or hexacore, especially with budget constraints. The lovely thing about AM3+ is it is backwards compatible with regular AM3 cpus. I wouldn't recommend an Athlon due to the lack of L3 cache - today's games take advantage of that and there is a significant gaming performance difference between a Phenom and similarly clocked Athlon.

1 Like

i think that i would go out and look for some cheap Sandybridge i5-2500 or ivy bridge i5-3570 with a cheap matching socket 1155 mobo.

1 Like

Thanks for the advise, peoples. I hope that zen kicks ass because then a lot of 8xxx's will flood the market. Hoping for a good zen, I'm going to look for phenom2 x4/6.
As far as intel, that's the way I was leaning before I found my motherboard. Too late now.

2 Likes

A little update;
I bought a used fx6100 for $50.00. I found my Antec supply was too old and doesn't have the proper connections, so I bought a Best Buy 520 watt [peak, 420 max] psu. $75.00. Also figured out that all the old stuff is likely not usable because connections. Oh well, I'll look to the used market. I do have a 500gb 2.5" laptop hard drive and a 128gb 2.5" ssd.

I'll have some questions later today ....

I would advise against that psu. For the price, you can definitely get better psus. I personally really like the Seasonic gold psus.

Edit; this post was posted to the wrong thread. I have a build thread under a similar name.

I got to the point where I needed to connect a switch and leds, etc to the front panel header. I didn't believe I had the proper stuff to do this [I was probably a little hasty] so I went to a new to me computer store hoping to rummage thru their scrap pile. They had just sent every piece of scrap to salvage so I ended up buying a new case for $50.00. I justified it to myself because then I would have a case switch, leds, reset button, usb 3.0, and trays that would fit 2.5", 3.5", and 5.25". The psu is at the bottom of the case which makes sense to me in that the center of gravity is lower and would be less tippy. The only thing I don't like is the color...too blingy..... bright orange cheap plastic.

I swapped everything over and installed the psu so that the fan was drawing from the bottom of the case, where there was an opening with a removable screen. Turns out that then the 12v 8 pin connector wouldn't reach the MB.

I flipped it over and it reaches, but is tight.

And where I left it for the night.

2 Likes

I get more FPS on 2560x1440 upscaling on my FX-8320 + R9 Fury than that...