Barnacules calls out Microsoft AGAIN!

Here to throw in another anecdote. After several wipe and re-installs of Windows 7 on her machine, I put my 60+ year old mother in law on Ubuntu. Now, two years later she's looking at the first problem with the computer. Chrome isn't updating properly. She can still use Chrome. It's just not updating properly.

Linux. Because it just fscking works.

1 Like

I'm just using Windows 7 most the time, I do have Linux installed but unfortunately it has some issues with my hardware setup (sli) and is just a pain in the butt to use atm.

Also I tried to setup Linux on my laptop but some function commands failed to work and absolutely no workarounds worked for me so it was Win7 for that system also.

While I like Linux, It certainly has some major drawbacks, I always manage to find the specific hardware configurations that don't play nice under Linux in some way or the other. Once I get a VEGA card on my main system I will probably use Linux a little more, unless AMD drivers decide to regress back to the stone age again (happens often).

2 Likes

Can we stop pretending that Linux elitism solves this problem? Hundreds of millions of people aren't about to switch to Linux over this and the vast majority probably don't even know what Linux is.

5 Likes

It doesn't "solve" the problem, but finding an alternative to the problem is better than complaining/whining to a company. Microsoft won't change, really they won't, because as of right now selling an OS is a dead business model while advertising is looking halfway decent(for companies, for users its shit). This is like if I complained about oil changes costing too much for my car, should I complain to the company? Or should I find a new company or just change the oil myself?

And I don't care if people aren't willing to learn what linux is(or how their computer works), its not my problem, its theirs. If they don't want to learn about the machine they are using then they have to deal with the consequences of some company screwing them over, since they are opening themselves up to it.

First off, jerry is rocking that stache.
Second, i kind of agree with him, M$ has gotten wayyyyyyy out of hand with the telemetry and what not, but honestly i think M$ kind of painted themselfs into a corner with their windows 10 is going to be the last OS they make statement, and they're desperately trying to make some cash monay.
And i dont think this whole forcing stuff down your throat, and telemetry is going to stop until game developers, and a few main stream software companies starts offering linux support like Adobe and such.
If that change happened a revolution in OSes would be eminent, but sadly i think M$ is aware of this, and will pay off companies not to support their free competitor, like they allready do with the console releases.
And what really amazes me is, this whole telemetry kind of made sense to me back when windows 10 was free, but now you actually pay a high premium to be a product for M$(the price here for win 10 was litterally like ~20 bucks less then a brand spanking new fx-8350 cpu, and these are european numbers not sure exatly what the conversion to US is), where atleast google, apple, and what not offer their platforms for free albeit you need specific hardware to run it on, but sadly M$ has "IP" on DX which alot of game developers are just to lazy not to use, so if you wanna play AAA games, you need windows.

his video was retarded, if you are using win10 you know what comes with it. no need to make it so dramatic for youtube views. ever since win 3.1 they have free games included in the software. however 8.1 didnt have much of an option.

ive been following barn for about a two years . his videos in the last few months are just sad now. the only reason i open them is because im hoping for something good. look at his last few videos were 5 min videos trying to let you know about game deals. its been pathetic.

at the end of the day if you want privacy use linux, if you want an attempt at it then use win10. i use both. i dont bitch about it because i knew what came with it. i love the OS for the purposes i use it. but im a win developer im not a linux developer yet

Sure, but in earlier versions the games were not trying to get you to spend millions on microtransactions. They also could be removed easily, were rather small and came with the OS, so it's not like today where the OS downloads half a gig without your permission (which is an issue for those who have data caps) to install stuff that you're not interested in.

BIG difference between shipping your OS with free solitaire games, and having a service in the background forcibly downloading software onto your system without you knowing(Also known as malware).
Aswell the shipped versions you can uninstall, without it forcibly reinstalling itself again.

I use both as well, since all of M$ telemetry i only ever visit a few websites and such on windows, and play games.
If i develop i just fire up a VM and use linux, and im cool with M$ monitoring me using a big blackbox which they cannot snoop into. What frustrates me, is that i actually need todo so since the product im using actually costs money now, so basically im paying them off twice, and to begin with, it was a choice between buying a windows license, or only being able to use my game library half arsed.

1 Like

im sure if we read the ula they put in there that they can. but im too lazy to do that

OFC. they did, so did NVidia yet a shit storm of proportions hit them for even trying to sneak it into their eula.

LinuxMasterRace

Edit: OMG NEW T-SHIRT @wendell

was that using geforce experience or without? im wondering

Funny that, I was just thinking about Tux wearing a Level1techs T-shirt.

EDIT :

9 Likes

Never been so deep in windows stripping crap out :(

It will start in 4 seconds, but it will take 4 hours to download due to the slow mirrors. This is where Torrents are wonderful things.

Goto love those slow ass linux downloads. You can bet windows downloads faster :(

Sad but true. The worst part is they paid for the OS they're using and they're still being milked for more information/money.

For the most part they are pretty fast when you consider it is a free operating system. I've only noticed Manjaro to be slow due to sourceforge, everyone else uses locally hosted mirrors. Although I can just download the OS over a torrent in a few seconds with my internet speed at 35mb/s which is much faster than any HTTP download out there.

Most of mine are pretty slow. I almost never torrent. I try to avoid sourceforge because of corrupted downloads issues i have suffered from them.

Im sure this is allowed in the EULA, Windows 10 is written by microsoft for microsoft. Ths is their operating syatem, its not like anyone is making us use it. If you agree to it and you use it there is no one to blame....

1 Like