Barcode scanner

Any recommendations for a barcode scanner and associated software to help me inventory my Bluray and DVD discs?

There are free barcode scanning apps on your phone.

There are standards for barcodes so with a commercial good you should not have a problem getting the serial number.

You don’t really need software but if you’re looking for an asset/inventory solution to use with barcodes then I recommend Snipe-IT.

It’s easily self-hostable too.

@TimHolus you might want to check this out as well if you’ve been wanting to ditch excel spreadsheets.

1 Like

I have nothing specific to recommend. I will only share this loose observation from my own CD / DVD collecting experience in the past.

Human-readable labeling!

I used the usual “00000” numbers, go up per cd / dvd.
In excel, I had a simple list of contents per cd / dvd and the corresponding catalog number for the disc.

Without using the reader in a quick and easy way for a human, I was able to find specific data per cd / dvd

In the database I am looking for what interests me and I see that it is on 00123 and I reach for the cd / dvd with this number written.

Sorry for offtop.

I stopped collecting cd / dvd years ago… I never wanted to change excel, especially since I started creating this list somehow in 2001. Later it was a historical event and a habit and I did not mind such a simple solution. :slight_smile:

Now it’s prehistory, a casual story to tell… :wink:

The point is that its not limited to just DVD’s, it can be used for anything with a barcode

Yes, understand that. My story is only meant to signal that it is good to have signs that the human brain can also operate in a simple and quick way. imho

1 Like

An app on your phone (or an old, unused phone) is likely the easiest and cheapest way to go.

I have no experience with this use case, and you weren’t very specific as to what features you want/need, but a quick search turned up the following:

Just so the story has an ending, I got one of these from AMZ: WoneNice USB Laser Barcode Scanner Wired Handheld Bar Code Scanner Reader Black. Wrote a script around curl to use the “trial” subscription from https://api.upcitemdb.com/, and Bob’s your uncle, in business. The trial sub doesn’t require a login, but does limit you to 40 searches per day and no more than 6 requests per minute.

you can make your own barcodes as well. literally just lines that represent data.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.